Options

Future MIS Graduate needs your advice

Dzeko2014Dzeko2014 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,I found this site through a google search and decided to join.
I will be graduating next year with a MIS degree. Here is the problem, I haven't been able to land a internship icon_sad.gif This is making me worry that I will have a tough time finding a job because ultimately I want a job offer before I graduate.

My interests are in programming but I understand that I might have to get a regular IT help desk job Which I'm fine with. I have been learning C# In my spare time through Microsoft academy. I want to get the basics down so I can start to create my own application. Some Ideas I have came up with for an application that would be useful for me. Application that logs my video gaming time, Tracking app on money I spend on food/entertainment. These are the only apps I could come up with that actually solve a problem and I could use, If you have any ideas please share for my first application.

Lastly I was wondering should I go after the A+ cert. ? I was planning to start studying for it in May and hopefully take the exam late August. I want to set my self apart from my classmates and I feel like getting the A+ cert will accomplish this. I highly doubt many of them are after any certs.

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Continue down the path of learning C# if that is what interest you, there is certain a career path that awaits you one with a very high ceiling.

I would personally look at software testing or QA positions instead of help desk. This aligns with development more so than the help desk (in most circumstances). Which in turn can lead to development positions. I've personally seen this happen before, several times.

I wouldn't worry about A+ if your end game is development. You might want to look at some of the MCSD or MTA certifications if you are interested in software development. This could help you market yourself to future employers.
  • Options
    Dzeko2014Dzeko2014 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Continue down the path of learning C# if that is what interest you, there is certain a career path that awaits you one with a very high ceiling.

I would personally look at software testing or QA positions instead of help desk. This aligns with development more so than the help desk (in most circumstances). Which in turn can lead to development positions. I've personally seen this happen before, several times.

I wouldn't worry about A+ if your end game is development. You might want to look at some of the MCSD or MTA certifications if you are interested in software development. This could help you market yourself to future employers.
    Thanks for replying. I was thinking and I decided to take your advice, I did some research about possible Microsoft exams and this one interested me the most Exam 98-364 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-98-364.aspx
    I have some SQL experience and I already have downloaded Microsoft SQL 2016 previously on my current desktop. From the skills measured on this exam it doesnt seem too tough but of course to be sure I will study for at least 1 month. Either way In the fall Im taking a database Theory class at college so preparing for this exam might make that class easier so thats 2 positives already.

But Im confused on the Microsoft page it list Microsoft SQL Server 2008 as the Technology used for this exam. icon_confused.gif: would using Microsoft 2016 sql make a difference?