Options

What's the difference between line console 0 and line vty 0 5?

vkookievkookie Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Both can get you router(config-line)# so what differs? icon_sad.gificon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    console 0 is the physical console port on the switch/router you plug into.

line vty is when you remote into the switch/router via telnet or ssh.

the config-line is letting you know you are currently in configuration mode for that specific line.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some commands are also different in relation to them. Mostly regarding Access lists and security.
    But CDX nailed the biggest differences.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    i heard that vty is the virtual port and ttf is the physical port, so is console 0 practically ttf?
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vkookie wrote: »
    i heard that vty is the virtual port and ttf is the physical port, so is console 0 practically ttf?[/QUOT

I think you mean to say "TTY" port. Yes, these TTYs are physical ports. Common on a terminal server that has array ASYNC cards the consoles lines into multiple devices to their con 0 port for console management purposes.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i heard that vty is the virtual port and ttf is the physical port, so is console 0 practically ttf?

I think you mean to say "TTY" port. Yes, these TTYs are physical ports. Common on a terminal server that has array ASYNC cards the consoles lines into multiple devices to their con 0 port for console management purposes.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    im still confused. so is tty and line con the same thing?
  • Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    im still confused. so is tty and line con the same thing?

answer = yes, line console 0 is one type of TTY port.

tty = physical
    vty = virtual

line console 0 = physical
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All lines are TTY (Teletype) meaning you type on a keyboard and the characters written out somewhere. Pretty much all CLI windows are a form of TTY.

Then you have different types of TTY. virtual (VTY), console (CTY or CON), auxiliary (AUX), TTY (Generic). The different types of lines may all show up as (config-line) but depending on the type of line you will have different configurations available like sending out modem strings, configuring signal levels, configuring reverse telnet, etc...
  • Options
    oh i get it now. thanks