Options

Advise required

mossey1235mossey1235 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Advised needed, Shall I go for Noc Engineer role. I am currently doing IT Help desk role level 1 and 2.
I am really scared, NOC engineering roles are not plenty compared to desktop support role. This Noc engineer role is working nights. please advise.

Comments

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience (only):

Help desk, often fast paced with support team and during production hours, can be what you want if you like hands-on (or virtual) break/fix.

NOC, evenings/overnights, is more ticket monkey work. Possible dispatch-tasks and monitoring. If you're lucky (or skilled) you could get to do some configurations and/or break-fix. But on those hours, normally there's a lot of downtime.

I'd say, depending on the pay and what you want to be doing with your time, it's up to you where you go and what you do. Are you single? Family? School? 2nd Job? Do you want to do networking? More calls/interaction or less? These are things you should consider.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    Newly married, I am scared of not getting more jobs. Noc are not plenty.
  • Options
    I don't know how things are where you are, but in my area (Midwest US), NOC jobs are usually a stepping stone to an engineer role. Because of this, there is often high turnover in that position. Helpdesk is the same generally, but NOC jobs tend to lead to engineering roles and gain you valuable experience to help you get there. Plus, the "down" time to study can be hugely beneficial. The downside of course are the hours. What is it you want to do? Figure that out and then talk with the Mrs.
  • Options
    But only problem it is shift work, I am signing up work nights. Can I get a normal network engineering job after NOC or does it have to be with ISP?
  • Options
    This probably varies depending on where you're at, but I was with an ISP before I took a NOC job that paid more and had more upward mobility. It all just depends. If you need experience, I would think the shift should be a carefully considered point in your negotiation with the employer. If you can show them you're skilled and focused on moving up, they would probably work with you. Most MSPs tend to need skilled engineers so you might not have to go to an ISP. Again, YMMV.
  • Options
    Are you working still with ISP? may I ask what is your current role.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A big one, make sure your spouse is on board with any change in hours and that you'd need to sleep during the day.
  • Options
    I don't think I want to work in NOC. I rather do helpdesk and get into desktop support. With Noc my health will be affected greatly.
  • Options
    Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Working nights can be fine if that is all you are working, are you going to be regularly switching between day and night shifts? I used to do exactly that and it affected my health hugely, it really messes with your body clock.
  • Options
    Guys I might go for the interview. I want to know one things what does 24/7 Noc mean? Can I choose the hours. I do not work like day time one minute and night the next.
  • Options
    24/7 means that department or service desk is attended to with someone on-staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, usually also on Holidays. I don't think you get to choose the hours. You mentioned nights, but I don't know if this means over-nights or evenings, like an afternoon-evening shift. Either way, if there's high turn-over in that NOC, you could find yourself getting moved to a better shift or promoted even quicker.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I work nights, nothing wrong with that. Get your spouse on board. Go to sleep right when you get home, spend time with the wife. Every day you wake up will feel like a lazy sunday with plenty of hours before your shift. I sit here as I type, about to go to bed at 8am.

Its the constant day to night that will kill you.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree