Options

Need help getting Internet access on Server 2003 with router

zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
Calling All Nerds and Geeks!! Y'all up for a challenge?! icon_lol.gif
I'm currently studying on the SUS on the server exam and am running into problem setting up a lab to test.
I have currently setup my lab on my laptop with server 2003 and virtual XP on it, and is connected to an active hub. This setup has served me well for the xp exam and throughout this server exam study but now I need Internet access for the server 2003 to test SUS.
At home, I'm using an D-Link DI-524 router with 2 active hubs connected to it with my brother and I each using the 2 hubs. How do I go about configuring the router so that I could have my 2003 server get Internet access and still be able to maintain a static IP? In other word, my router is handling the Dynamic IP from the cable modem, and my laptop is using static IP for the server 2003. How should they be configured?
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So your router is handling DHCP for all other computers? If your only goal is to keep a static IP on the laptop, configure the laptop to have a static IP on the same subnet as the router, then set its default gateway to the routers IP.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    So your router is handling DHCP for all other computers? If your only goal is to keep a static IP on the laptop, configure the laptop to have a static IP on the same subnet as the router, then set its default gateway to the routers IP.

Yes, my router is handling the DHCP for all other computer. My router is using 192.168.0.1 (don't ask me why I haven't change it for security..hehe) and my laptop is configured with server 2003 with 192.168.0.1 static ip, gateway, dns server, and dhcp server on it too. Having two dhcp servers conflict with each others?
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    You only want the DHCP server on your laptop to assign an IP to the virtual XP client, correct? Go into the properties of the DHCP server and change the connection bindings so that it is only responding to requests from the interface on which your XP client is connected.

I've never used any virtual PC type applications so I don't know exactly how they work, but I think this should solve your problem.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    You only want the DHCP server on your laptop to assign an IP to the virtual XP client, correct? Go into the properties of the DHCP server and change the connection bindings so that it is only responding to requests from the interface on which your XP client is connected.

Yes, I only on my laptop's dhcp server to assign ip to the xp client; however, I have also setup dns server, gateway, and dhcp server on the server 2003 too. I think this is going to be complicated (or at least conflicting with the router). Would you sugges that I start over and wipe out my laptop to start the lab from beginning? If so, how do I configure the dns server (which is require for active directory) on windows server 2003? The server 2003 server static ip would then be 192.168.0.2 subnet, the gateway = the router ip (192.168.0.1), dhcp server = router ip (192.168.0.1), and the dns=?
  • Options
    Nah, it's not that complicated, I did the same thing with my lab setup, except that I used actual computers, instead of virtual computers.

The DNS server shouldn't matter too much, your DC will query it's DNS server, which will see it's not authoritative for the address and preform a recursive query of the root DNS servers on the internet, provided you haven't changed that setting. The DHCP on your router shouldn't bother your lab set-up provided the XP client can't get an address from it. The address of your DC won't conflict with the router's DHCP because it's static.

I think you're over complicating the whole thing, or perhaps my explanations aren't good enough. Anyone else want to jump in with some advice?
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    Nah, it's not that complicated, I did the same thing with my lab setup, except that I used actual computers, instead of virtual computers.

The DNS server shouldn't matter too much, your DC will query it's DNS server, which will see it's not authoritative for the address and preform a recursive query of the root DNS servers on the internet, provided you haven't changed that setting. The DHCP on your router shouldn't bother your lab set-up provided the XP client can't get an address from it. The address of your DC won't conflict with the router's DHCP because it's static.

I think you're over complicating the whole thing, or perhaps my explanations aren't good enough. Anyone else want to jump in with some advice?

I think so too. I do follow your explanation to some point.
  • Options
    zenboy wrote:
    The server 2003 server static ip would then be 192.168.0.2 subnet, the gateway = the router ip (192.168.0.1), dhcp server = router ip (192.168.0.1), and the dns=?

If this is referring to the TCP/IP properties on the interface connected to the hub, then it's mostly right. Here's what it should have:

IP = 192.168.0.2
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0 (I'm sure you knew that)
    Default Gateway = 192.168.0.1
    DNS = 192.168.0.2

I'm not sure what you mean by "dns=?".
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    zenboy wrote:
    The server 2003 server static ip would then be 192.168.0.2 subnet, the gateway = the router ip (192.168.0.1), dhcp server = router ip (192.168.0.1), and the dns=?

If this is referring to the TCP/IP properties on the interface connected to the hub, then it's mostly right. Here's what it should have:

IP = 192.168.0.2
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0 (I'm sure you knew that)
    Default Gateway = 192.168.0.1
    DNS = 192.168.0.2

I'm not sure what you mean by "dns=?".

Hey it works!! I followed what you said above and it works! when I first logon to server 2003 with the 192.168.0.1, it conflict with the router. After changing the server ip to 192.168.0.2, and assigning the appropriate gateway and dns you suggested, I was able to logon to the server and serve the Internet. Thanks in a million, Kale! You are a true Geek after all. :)
  • Options
    Opps, I meant to say: I don't know what you mean by "dhcp server = router ip (192.168.0.1)".
  • Options
    I didn't see your previous post before I posted my last comment.

You're very welcome, it gave me a chance to take a break from my own studies. Once you start studying for 291 the reason all those settings work will become more apparent. Good luck!
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    Opps, I meant to say: I don't know what you mean by "dhcp server = router ip (192.168.0.1)".

Ok, here is a run down scenario on what you suggested to me and what I have followed.
    my router ip = 192.168.0.1
    router handles dhcp
    my laptop contains windows Server 2003 with:
    DC=192.168.0.2
    DNS server=192.168.0.2
    subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway = 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Enabled = Not

Both Server and XP client are able to serve the Internet.
    When I do Ipconfig from XP client, the Dhcp server = 192.168.0.2 and Dhcp Enabled = Yes.
    But when I do Ipconfig on the Server, the Dhcp server = 192.168.0.2; however, the Dhcp Enabled = No.

My question now is why are the DHCP ENABLED on both the client and server different?
  • Options
    It says "DHCP Enabled: Yes" on the client because it is setup to use a dynamic address, conversly it says "DHCP Enabled: No" on the server because it is setup to use a static address.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote:
    It says "DHCP Enabled: Yes" on the client because it is setup to use a dynamic address, conversly it says "DHCP Enabled: No" on the server because it is setup to use a static address.

That's what I thought too. I might have to study up on the the other side of the gateway to see how this all fit in. My knowledge is limited to only within the subnet. Thanks again for the help, kale.