Options

How manipulative can bosses me in IT?

TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ask as I start my volunteer position at a well known non-proft and my current boss at my current fulltime job is extremly manipulativeicon_lol.gif. I'm curious if I should look out for such a boss in a volunteer position

Quick story:
She has tried to take advantage of the fact that I have Aspergers. She told human resources that some employee who I got along with was bullying me(She doesn't like him for some reason). I NEVER said anything to her regarding the issue. It caused a lot of problems for me, eventually it got sorted out by human resources. She was able to cover her ass, before trying to blame the whole situation on me. Now, I get along with that co-worker, and no one lost their job(including her sadly).

How common are people like this in IT? I know there are manipulative workers/bosses everywhere, but do they go to this level? I found this to be an all time low. I did nothing to my boss, and I do my job well and show up on time. Yet, she tried to use me as a pawn to try to get rid of another worker?

Comments

• Options
    TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I should add that the work in IT I will be doing is a different paygrade. Is it harder for bosses to be manipulative?Right now, I work in the shipping department of a federal agency as a shipping assistant contractor.
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    Your a aspie like me

We see things differently

It makes living a hell.

Based on what you said

Looks like she was trying to use you
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Well... it doesn't matter what industry you work in, bosses are human beings so they're capable of being good or downright bad human beings on the same scale for the most part. So... ummm... unless you are working for AI, I would say you have as high or low of a chance of getting a bad boss as any other industry. That's why its important to get a sense of the management's expectations, personality, etc in the interview before accepting the job. They're not just interviewing you, you're interviewing them to make sure it's a right fit.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't had that experience within IT but outside of IT, yea I have. You'll pick up on things over time either how that person acts or what they will say directly to you. Just be careful.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last boss was very timid. He would actually look down and away when you passed him in the hallway. When he wanted me to do something sort of outside our regular duties (like cleaning and organizing the file room) he would tell me the owner wanted me to help him. Later the owner asked me why I was cleaning it and that she never even asked him to clean it. Not sure I believe her either because she was very forgetful (she was about 77 years old). Who really knows what the truth was but he also told me he used to spy on his old manager and remotely viewed his screen to see what he was doing and shared this with others to have proof. He kept a pretty big file on his old boss but as far as I know he never actually used this as leverage but who knows. I do know he showed me the info
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately people like this exist everywhere. Us aspies are unfortunately overly trusting and naive. It's incidents like this that will help you to acclimatise to the real world. People lie and manipulate, it's just a fact of life. Just learn to divulge the least information possible in all situations where you could get burned, and only trust people after a very long time, after they've proven themselves with their actions, rather than just their words. I also had a really suck ass boss who contributed to almost ruining my life. Fortunately since I've been in IT the only guys I've worked with have been awesome, but I'm sure there are also a lot of douches out there. Just be careful, and don't allow yourself to get into situations where you can be manipulated.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE