Options

How to study the last 2 weeks before Sec+

GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
I only have 2 more weeks before I talk Sec+ and I'm also studying Cisco Cyber Ops. I was hoping they would overlap, but so far the material isn't exactly the same. I'm in a time crunch and I don't want to waste any valuable time studying the wrong format. I have read Darrill Gibson's book once through and I want to add one more format but can't decide if I want to read another book or watch Professor Messer videos. Looking for advice.

Comments

• Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    week 1 - watch all of professor messer sec+ vids

week 2 - gibson practice tests and simulations (sims from his website)
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You got your N+, so you are now familiar with CompTIA's exams.
    For these exams, its all flash card type memorization. Ports, protocols, attacks, risk mgmt terms, etc.
    A lot to cover but thankfully not too in detail.

I don't know about the current test version, but I highly recommend Darrill's review materials. I noticed he has alot of paid resources on his website. If I were you, I would probably buy into them. The flash cards and the practice exams are updated weekly so it looks good.

If you want free, obviously do Professor Messer.
    I also think that you could benefit from the free 3 month trial Pluralsight is giving out if you havent tried that. Google it, its a benefit of joining Microsoft's dev network. I just did this yesterday. I used them for my Sec+ back when they were still called Trainsignal.
    Also, as time comes close. Start a 7 day trial with CBT Nuggets. They offer free transcender questions too.

For sec+ i think youll be fine with 1 book, and 2 video sources. Make sure your notes are up to par. The easiest person to understand is yourself. So paraphrase key topics and all that stuff. Use different colored pens and highlights. You are at a review stage. You've heard all the terms. Now you just need to drill it down and work on the things that trouble you. If you do not have handwritten notes, now is the time to start.

No need for another book! Darril is the man! such a perfect book. Lastly, another cheap trick for free resources is the go to a Barnes & Noble with a starbucks or reading lounge. Grab all the Sec+ books and take the practice exams in them! I did this for A+, N+, and S+.

How long have you been studying and when is your test date?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey i noticed that youre in the Springs. You should definitely check out meetup.com. There are tons of cyber meetups and other tech meetups along the front range. All levels too. Theres even a women in cyber meetup on april 19th. May be a nice way to meet people and build your personal connections.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You got your N+, so you are now familiar with CompTIA's exams.
    For these exams, its all flash card type memorization. Ports, protocols, attacks, risk mgmt terms, etc.
    A lot to cover but thankfully not too in detail.

I don't know about the current test version, but I highly recommend Darrill's review materials. I noticed he has alot of paid resources on his website. If I were you, I would probably buy into them. The flash cards and the practice exams are updated weekly so it looks good.

If you want free, obviously do Professor Messer.
    I also think that you could benefit from the free 3 month trial Pluralsight is giving out if you havent tried that. Google it, its a benefit of joining Microsoft's dev network. I just did this yesterday. I used them for my Sec+ back when they were still called Trainsignal.
    Also, as time comes close. Start a 7 day trial with CBT Nuggets. They offer free transcender questions too.

For sec+ i think youll be fine with 1 book, and 2 video sources. Make sure your notes are up to par. The easiest person to understand is yourself. So paraphrase key topics and all that stuff. Use different colored pens and highlights. You are at a review stage. You've heard all the terms. Now you just need to drill it down and work on the things that trouble you. If you do not have handwritten notes, now is the time to start.

No need for another book! Darril is the man! such a perfect book. Lastly, another cheap trick for free resources is the go to a Barnes & Noble with a starbucks or reading lounge. Grab all the Sec+ books and take the practice exams in them! I did this for A+, N+, and S+.

How long have you been studying and when is your test date?

Thank you! That's great advice. I hadn't thought about going to Barnes and Noble to go through the books there. That would be fun.

My test is scheduled for April 11. I'm a little worried because I've been spending most of my time on the Cisco Cyber Ops and it's not going to cross over enough to help me. I need to get back to Sec+ without stopping my time with Cisco. icon_study.gif

I started studying for sec+ in February and I haven't been as diligent as I was with net+. I have to get this knocked out as a personal goal and as the bare minimum to get in the field here in Colorado. Oh, thanks for the suggestion on meetups. I have been able to make some good connections but I could use more. I'm planning on going to Bsides Denver in May too. Networking is so important when looking for a job.

Thanks again!

@cdx thank you too. I'm going to Darrill's website now.
  • Options
    JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely recommend watching Professor Messer's videos. They are an excellent source of information. Also, you can always download the Security+ app as well. It is by Darril Gibson and goes along with the material you read from his book. It includes flashcards, study questions, and practice tests. I believe it is $7.99 on Google Play. Good Luck on the exam!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    week 1 - watch all of professor messer sec+ vids

week 2 - gibson practice tests and simulations (sims from his website)

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.icon_thumright.gif that should definitely have you ready for the exam.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bought Professor Messer's Sec+ $10 notes, like 35pgs...definitely worth it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With 2 weeks left shift focus to practice exams and reviewing what you get wrong. Aim for 2 per week if you have access to them. I don't mean 10-question end of book, I mean sit and do a simulated exam once every 2-3 days and review it for the following 2-3 days.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Cisco would be wrong when he says that this test is all "flash card memorization," I had way more situational questions than I did on Net+ also you'll have about 6 "lab" type questions right up front on Sec+. Having taken A+, Net+, and Sec+, I can say the other two were strictly memorization, don't use that as a tool for Sec+ though. This is more of you have to know why the answer is the answer to actually answer the questions. That being said, good luck! Use Professor Messer and GCGA Premium Content going into the last two weeks!