Options

5 month unemployement gap.

kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
Hey everyone,

I have a 5 month unemploymemt gap

This is because i went traveling to asia and south america which is explained in my resume.

In my last role i was paid well and was there as a senior systems engineer and i have been working in IT for 7 progressive years.

Back then i used to apply for roles and beat a ton load of people and get hired left and right.

Now they dont even call me! Except a few!

Nothing is wrong with my resume!

It is also the end of the financial year here? Could this be a reason?

Im also looking at contracting gigs and not permanent because im going to leave the country at the end of the year.

Any input on why people think this is?

Its strange as i was unemployed many times before and made very successful come backs
live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Maybe your CV needs modifications? it's generally to get a job while you're still employed.

apply for more jobs, and perhaps post your CV here and get some feedback?

5 months is not a big gap!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    Nothing is wrong with my resume!

Maybe so, but it can never be "too perfect." It should also be tailored to each position you apply.

Unfortunately your issues finding employment sound about normal where things are right now. There are plenty of qualified people that can't find good employment, or are getting laid off. I wish I had the answer there... it would solve a lot of issues. I hope your luck gets better.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    This is because i went traveling to Asia and South America which is explained in my resume.
    I'm no hiring manager but I wouldn't think anyone would want to hold that over you. Personally I would like to see a candidate who did something different and unusual. I imagine that took you way out of your comfort to travel abroad that long.

Either way, I agree with the others. Modify the CV and post it here- heck, even find a way to spin that experience of yours into it. It doesn't all have to be technical.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How you market it is a key item. There's a big difference between "unemployment" and "taking a sabbatical".
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gaps that large can be killers regardless...... I recently passed over a candidate with a 9 month gap, nothing personal but the other candidates didn't have gaps and similar experience. The good news is, the farther you get away from the gap the less impact it will have.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have an 18-month gap on mine during my layoff period (2001-2002) during which I worked all kinds of odd jobs until I could suitable work. I just list that period as "Various, sources available on request." That has never held me back. Interestingly, no prospective employer has ever bothered to ask about it.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not think the gap would kill you so much as you saying you will not be there long. Contract or no, a hiring manager does not want to go through the process of giving themselves more work to replace you after you're gone.

my .02
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I do not think the gap would kill you so much as you saying you will not be there long. Contract or no, a hiring manager does not want to go through the process of giving themselves more work to replace you after you're gone.

my .02

What ya mean by giving themselfs more work to replace me after i am gone? LOL

Thats the whole purpose of a contract if you didnt know as opposed to permanant

You are hired for a set period of time and there is a reason behind it and no it is NOT more work to replace a contractor because they are hired for certain things.

For an example if you were hired as a consultant to migrate a organizations on premise emails to the cloud

And you came in as a contractor and just did that and the contract finished, how the heck is it more work for the hiring mannager to replace you?? LOL you did what you were hired to do and the contract ended and you left
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might have to take a shorter LTE to fill that gap.