CCNP vs MCSA, what's next?

drewbert87drewbert87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

First, a little background:

- I have 8 years of experience in IT doing break and fix Apple repair
- Finished CCNA last Fall
- Started working in a NOC in January

Shortly after starting here I wanted to start working on another cert because they are highly valued by my work (and also by me) and they pay for the exams. I went back and forth a bit before landing on studying for the MCSA Server 2012 since we are a mostly a Windows shop and I don't have a Windows background. I've been studying for it since February and so far I'm really bored. I sort of had an epiphany this week that I really don't ever want to be a Windows admin and I really don't want to grind out three of these tests. The material just isn't interesting to me. I sort of just started down that route since I felt like it would shore up my weakest point. However, I'm already feeling very confident working with Windows at work, doing things in PowerShell, working with AD, etc... So now I'm taking a day to re-evaluate and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

One of the main reasons I didn't go down the CCNP route earlier is because nearly everyone online says that you need at least a year of network job experience to go along with it and I didn't have that. I thought I would spend my first year in the NOC getting MCSA and then go to CCNP after that. Now I'm wondering if that's really necessary. Long term I want to work with networking and I'm interested in data center technology.

I have already begun to get handed some extra networking tasks from one of the senior engineers at work since no one else is really skilled in that area and he's overloaded so I see that as a good opportunity to get some experience but other than that I do very little networking day to day, more SysAdmin type stuff. I do spend a little time in our Cisco UCS and Nexus switches right now, doing some documentation which is nice to keep my CLI fresh.

So what's the consensus on my next move?

A) Grind out those MCSA tests, everyone needs Windows certs!
B) Focus on what you're interested in, go to CCNP!
C) Work on some odds and ends for 9 more months that interest you, then get the CCNA. (Linux maybe? CCNA DC? Big IP F5? We work in those at my work often. Open to suggestions here.)

I'm grateful for any advice you folks can offer. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    B, dont do your MCSA unless this a requirement from your job.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My vote is B. You are going to spend around a year studying for CCNP regardless. Give yourself that amount of time then you will have the cert and the experience. If you find Windows admin stuff boring then why focus on it?
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go CCNP since you are already NOC.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Drew, I feel you, brother. I've been working on the 70-410 for months and yet I struggle with it because I find the content extremely boring. I agree with the others. Work on your CCNP. I'm going to go back to my Cisco studies and mix some Python in there as well.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Fulcrum - I feel ya you too. No way I can do a "boring" cert. Just ain't no way!
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was actually in the middle of studying for the 70-417 to upgrade my MCSA: Server 2008 to 2012. I ultimately decided to go the Cisco route, as I believe those skills will pay off more for me in the future. I'm now (slowly) studying CCDA, then moving on to CCNP and CCDP afterwards.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    drewbert87 wrote: »
    I've been studying for it since February and so far I'm really bored. I sort of had an epiphany this week that I really don't ever want to be a Windows admin and I really don't want to grind out three of these tests. The material just isn't interesting to me.

I was actually going to begin studying for the MCSE the Cloud Platform & Infrastructure track.
    But then i realized.... Who gives a Fudge?? I DON'T want to do anymore server work. Best case scenario: i would Never even use the Cert.
    lol

drewbert87 wrote: »
    I have already begun to get handed some extra networking tasks from one of the senior engineers at work since no one else is really skilled in that area and he's overloaded so I see that as a good opportunity to get some experience but other than that I do very little networking day to day, more SysAdmin type stuff. I do spend a little time in our Cisco UCS and Nexus switches right now, doing some documentation which is nice to keep my CLI fresh.

Duuuude...Awesome situation.
    Perhaps you might want to postpone the CCNP for 2-3 months?
    Maybe check out some NX-OS lectures.
    I'm going to be starting this course next month:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/learning_center/data-center-training-videos

It looks like it's about 15 hours. So, 30 minutes a day... Equals 6 weeks.
    and If you are getting some "hands-on" at the job... then maybe it would be interesting?
    Don't worry about the Cert; just focus on the knowledge.

Also, PCTechLinc had a good idea too:
    Maybe consider reviewing the CCDA curriculum. (if you have access to any of the material).
    I want to do this myself; just dont know how/when i can make the time; but i assume it would still be Interesting (and useful longterm?).

Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents
    (but keep us posted)