Options

70-417

PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
Who has sat this exam? How did you find it? The exam guide seems to be very highly rated. Should I get this boxed off now while the 2008 content is still fresh in my head?

Thanks
Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
Working on - RHCE

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Should I get this boxed off now while the 2008 content is still fresh in my head?

I would say yes - push through to the MCSA 2012 and possible MCSA 2016 if you have the time - they are dependent on the previous server OS knowledge so you are in the best possible position with all the knowledge already in your head.

The 70-417 exam is in the same format (3 sections that you have to pass) but 70-743 is now just one section so it a bit easier. Both are hard exams so will take a lot of work, but are better than having to sit 3 exams each to get to the same place.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I take on board what you're saying and you're right. But after thinking about it, I've decided that I'm burned out on MS exams for the time being. I need a break from them after I've done the 686. I'd like to learn more about networking, security and linux, then I can come back to MS and get my MCSE later on.

I've taken great interest in some of your other posts on the forum by the way. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains at some point about contracting at some point? In terms of experience and the financial incentive.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains at some point about contracting at some point? In terms of experience and the financial incentive.

Happy to help if I can - probably best to do this through Private Messages here as this will be off topic.

On the 417 subject, in your shoes I would still look at the exam as it is unlikely to ever be any easier for you. You already have a head full of the specifics of 2008 server that is needed to pass the exam and the 417 exam only tests you on the differences plus some bits from 2008 - the material is fairly light (only 400 pages) and is mostly logical extensions of the 2008 principles.

It is your decision, but doing it now saves you probably 2 more weeks worth of dedicated effort later on to get back to the same level you are now. Maybe consider starting slowly at first, read the book / watch the videos and before you know it you are ready to sit the exam. I would think 3 weeks would be enough time at your current level of preparedness.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    Really? You think 3 weeks would be enough? I know the book is only 400 pages, but does it really cover everything? As I mentioned in my original post, it has very good reviews, but I'm just so unused to an MS press book covering everything required for the exam.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    The book covers the high level subjects well enough, but if you are worried about the smaller details then use the blueprint for the exam to dig out relevant Technet articles and use these as your source.

I've done so many Microsoft exams over the years that I may not be the best to see it from a less experienced perspective, but there is no rocket science in this one and if you know your 2008 bits then you are easily half way there IMHO.

Remember you need to do annual renewals for the MCSA's now, so this may be reason enough to delay for a bit. You are about to enter a lifetime of studying and exam taking if you pick up too many MS certs and want to keep them active.
  • Options
    Christ, you've twisted my arm.

I do feel like I've got the hang of these exams now, I was only aiming to knock 686 out by July originally.. and I'm way ahead of schedule.. So I guess I'm going 70-417 and possibly 70-743.... And Windows 10 if they come out with an upgrade exam sometime soon.

What have you done to me B?

About the renewals.. I've seen a few people mention this but can't actually find where Microsoft have said it. Any ideas on that one?

Cheers
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    About the renewals.. I've seen a few people mention this but can't actually find where Microsoft have said it. Any ideas on that one?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx

Every year, you have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence. Each time you earn the certification, a new certification entry is added to your transcript. This process replaces the existing recertification requirement of taking a specific recertification exam every three years to prevent your certification from going inactive.

Sounds like a moneymaking scheme to me.
  • Options
    Looks like it just applies to MCSE from the look of that.

You're probably right about it being a con, but at least they have different options and you don't have to sit the same exam every year.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard conflicting information on this and even our PFE at work hasn't been able to make perfect sense of it.

The way I understand is you now get an MCSE and the MCSE has a date attached. Every year you can recertify and that date stays current. If you choose not to, it doesn't necessarily become inactive but if too long passes it could show you being unwilling to keep up with stuff. That is how I understand it at least. I don't think anyone will be truly sure until this time next year when the first ones start expiring.

None of this applies to the MCSA. MCSAs remain valid as long as the technology is in maintstream support. As long as Server 2012 is a thing, MCSA 2012 will be valid. Once 2012 goes out of support, the certification carries no weight and moves into the inactive or legacy category.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    I have a feeling the MCSA may go the same way as the MCSE for renewals - from:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-certification.aspx

Q. Does my retired Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator certification expire?

A. No. Candidates who achieved a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator certification have demonstrated the ability to manage and troubleshoot network environments based on the Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server operating system.

This does not cover the 2008, 2012 or Windows 8 MCSAs although it could just be sloppy website updating. At this stage there is nothing explicitly stating it one way or the other about expiry.
  • Options
    I think it's because Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator only applies to 2000/2003, whereas solutions associate applies to 2008+, which haven't yet retired.

Still, it does remain to be seen whether that's the way they'll go with it.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys, how many Hot Spot and Drag-n-Drop questions on the 70-417 exam?
    Best, sacredboy!