Options

Anyone tried virtual classes? Any pos/neg feedback?

My job is sending me for training and I signed up for a classroom live session. I am checking the confirmation email and it states its a virtual class which is not what I signed up for. Before I send an email correcting this or possibly canceling that class I wanted to see whats everyones feedback on taking a virtual class at home. If I take the on site class its in another state but I was going to get a hotel room for a week which comes out around a $1k which is a hit but I could really just focus on the class in isolation. If I take the virtual class I save that money but I never taken a virtual class so not sure how well I will do staying focused while at home.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have taken both, they are really the same thing. In person you would ask the same questions as you would ask over the mic. Make sure you have a microphone. To me there was no difference to tell you thw truth besides thw fact thay doing the training in a virtual class at home you are more comfortable and can drink, eat and relax while the instructor explains things and you ask questions.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've done a few, I just stay home for the week and do it remotely, at least the typical office distractions don't apply there. I don't think there is any way I could do a full week of training sitting in my cube, people walk over all the time.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With the few virtual training sessions I've had, communications TO the instructor was through typing in the Adobe meeting web interface, and then the instructor would verbally answer. For school, we have webinars once per week, where using the microphone or calling in is optional. I do prefer verbal, as you don't have to wait for everyone to type, and screen scrolling, but verbal can get annoying when one or two people just can't stay quiet.

All in all, I do like the virtual trainings. I usually get a link later on to watch the recorded version if I missed something. I've done the trainings from work, home, friend's house, etc. Key is keeping yourself locked in a room with few/no distractions.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well to be specific its a class with Global knowledge
  • Options
    I've heard good things about Global Knowledge, but they are one that I haven't experienced yet. I've had a few from Stormwind and Knowledgenet so far.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like CBT course, but I am not that fond of virtual classes. They are convenient, but it is not the same than a live class. Also, I found them too expensive compared to live class. Sure you add some $ for hotel, and plane, but I think it is worth it.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've done a virtual class with Global Knowledge. It's exactly the same as the classroom class. It's just that you have your own distractions, but it's also much more comfortable. You're in your own environment, you can take your shoes off, enjoy a drink, fart when you need to, etc.. Classroom is much more formal.

I have no complaints with Global Knowledge, and I will be taking another class with them this year (virtual most likely).
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    There is nothing to beat being in the middle of the class in just your underpants! It is so liberating that it can be hard to concentrate...

I've done quite a few and they are fine - the time and hassle spent in getting to / staying at physical classes is a huge bonus - you get to use that time for something much more useful.

At the end of the day it is the same material with the same option to ask questions and get help so unless you are mentally locked into the "only attending a class in person can work" mindset then you can save your company a lot of cash and get yourself an easy life for a few days while you study.

This is the 21st century for goodness sake! Even my 90 year old mother gets training on using new software from me without me needing to spend a day traveling to do it for her.

Embrace the change!
  • Options
    Thanks guys I am going to give the virtual class a try. Do you guys have a specific setup at home when attending the class from home? e.g. 27" monitor, headset with mic or something to that effect?
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Do you guys have a specific setup at home when attending the class from home? e.g. 27" monitor, headset with mic or something to that effect?

You need a headset with a microphone - you can get a passable one for about $20 I believe, or borrow on from work. This lets you hear what is going on without sharing it with your family/neighbors and let's you chat with the teacher if required.

In terms of the computer, I work happily on a 15" laptop and it is typically only a good internet connection that you need. The training stuff will be PDF and streamed over some screen sharing platform and any labs are likely to be virtualised (unless you need to get primitive with hardware that is - think basic Cisco work). If you need to use local software then you will either get it in advance or more likely get a virtual PC to control for the duration of the session that has it installed already.

You won't get the printed handouts, but in this day and age there is not much benefit in having all that dead tree cluttering your desk - use Adobe Reader and the highlight / notes function to make it all electronic so it can be backed up.

Oh, and the biggest downside is you don't get to enjoy the networking opportunities with the other people there, students and teachers alike. These days that is a thing to factor in if you plan on changing jobs at some point.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I really prefer two monitors, so I can have the PDF on one screen and the presentation on the other. It works fine with one, just docked to each side. Labs are easier with two monitors, too. RDP on one screen and the PDF on the other. Maximize screen real estate. That's just my preference. Like they say - once you go dual monitors, you don't go back!
  • Options
    Maybe I'm just weird, but I've tried multiple monitors, and I just can't do it. I prefer a larger screen, which is why I bought a laptop with a 17" screen. When I was finishing my lab for my Master's project, I had around 12 VMs, and my single screen was perfect for me. At my previous job, I had a 27" monitor, which was awesome. :D
  • Options
    RogueAdminRogueAdmin Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on the person/learner, the course material, and the instructor.

I've taken many online and virtual classes. Have not, however, taken Global Knowledge ones. General feeling is they work well for active learners who need the instructor to fill in those stumbling points in the learning process.

Good mentions on the "distraction free" environment. Should also have quick access to bathroom, snacks, and meals. Also, good mention on lots of screen real estate, either as multiple monitors or a larger screen (again, that is a person preference/person work style requirement which you should be cognizant about for yourself).
  • Options
    Just finished global knowledge virtual training and it was death by powerpoint!

It was hard just to listen, stay focus and stare at a pdf for 5 min at a time. I was hoping it would include some white boarding for more of an immersive experience. I had to be proactive and incorporate my surface pro to make it a much more meaningful experience. I did snip it on the ppt slide and pasted into onenote. Onenote synced on my surface pro and I wrote the notes on it and added notes to it as the instructor spoke so I did get the most out of it from that point but man wish I thought of it on the first day because that was basically a loss of a day with sleep worthy material.

Does the in class training have whiteboarding or is it still death by power point?! I find the virtual class comparable to the cisco webex videos on youtube which can be super dry so not sure if I will take a virtual class again..

Thanks