I just passed my Security +...what now?

BTRCBTRC Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I Just passed my Security + and I'm not sure what step to take next. Do I get a mentor? Do I write letter to a company asking them to take a chance on me because I just earned my certification? How exactly do things work on this side of the IT world? I'm new to this so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
BTRC

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Old enough to go to the liquor store and celebrate?
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Congrats! Don't forget to put it on your Techexams profile that you are Sec+ certified!

Could you elaborate what your current position is and what position you are seeking to achieve? What was your motivation for getting the Sec+? These questions will help me answer your questions.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • AspiringAspiring Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • BTRCBTRC Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am lol!
    Thanks @cdx...and well, everyone lol! I just added my current certs to my profile. I'm currently in a Web Applications Support position. It's pretty much a bunch of content management, application support, and data governance stuff. Not really very challenging icon_sad.gif...I do enjoy a challenge here and there. So, I decided that I wanted to switch career paths. Security and Linux seem to hold my interest the most. I'd really appreciate your advice. Thanks!:)
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Congratulations, I am sure that there are jobs out there that'll pick you up with your experience you have depending on how long you've been doing it.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    BTRC wrote: »
    Thanks @cdx...and well, everyone lol! I just added my current certs to my profile. I'm currently in a Web Applications Support position. It's pretty much a bunch of content management, application support, and data governance stuff. Not really very challenging icon_sad.gif...I do enjoy a challenge here and there. So, I decided that I wanted to switch career paths. Security and Linux seem to hold my interest the most. I'd really appreciate your advice. Thanks!:)

Does your company have a cybersecurity department or SOC? If so, you could try to get your foot in that door with the Sec+. If you want to pursue further Cybersecurity certs, check out the Security section of these forums, there are many to choose from depending on which branch of Cybersecurity you wish to pursue. A common path for many is Sec+>CEH>CISSP.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cdx wrote: »
    Does your company have a cybersecurity department or SOC? If so, you could try to get your foot in that door with the Sec+. If you want to pursue further Cybersecurity certs, check out the Security section of these forums, there are many to choose from depending on which branch of Cybersecurity you wish to pursue. A common path for many is Sec+>CEH>CISSP.

If your company does not have a security department, go to your management and tell them that you would like to start one. Ask them to allot you a few hours per week for now.Then keep pushing it until it becomes full time. A colleague did that at his company 10 years ago. Now he's head of security.