Options

A Potpourri of Questions

dangolfdangolf Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
All,

First of all, let me say that I thoroughly appreciate each, and every, one of your efforts to share knowledge on this board. I want to assure you that I in no way pushing any product or institution, as many of the people that seem to make their first few posts about specific products, institutions, or sites. I'm just a lurker (I am this way on another board, as well). In addition, I will try to mention multiple vendors just to try to put that notion completely to bed.

OK. After that longwinded intro, here is a longwinded background. I am 35 years old and currently employed with one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world as an operations manager. I began working there seven years ago as a technician. During this timeframe I have completed my Bachelors degree (BBA/MIS Concentration). The center that I work in takes care of business networks for many of the largest companies in the world. We work with several different types of service including analog (ugh), point to point private line, ISDN, frame relay, ATM, etc...

My problem lies in the fact that since I moved in the management side of the operation, I am not nearly as happy. I do not mind doing the things that are required of me, but I really do miss the hands-on, technical side of the house. I'm too young for a mid-life crisis. Aren't I? I do, however, realize that I need to start making some quickly, or I'll be 70 years old before I put myself into the position that I want to be in.

Knowing all of this, can anyone make any suggestions regarding a path that would be beneficial to me? I make good money now (60-70K), and need to stay close to that level to keep up our current lifestyle. I am really interested in security, but would settle for anything technical at this point.

I have a strong background in frame relay, and have worked with customers on their issues extensively. This has given me a fairly solid router background, without ever touching a router physically. I decided a couple of months ago to take the CCNA test. I have it scheduled for May 25th, but I've read so many posts that state that there is almost no way to enter the router side of the business at close to my level of compensation, regardless of experience.

So, enter plan number two. I did some research last night into online, graduate IT programs. I came across several that piqued my interest. Among them were Boston University, Capella University, AIU, Colorado Tech, and a couple of others. I threw out a couple of programs right away due to the fact that they were MBAs with technical concentration. I think that I would be better served pursuing an MS.

After all this, I'll get to my questions:

Is there any way for me to be successful by taking the certification route? I have no trouble with tests, and pick up technical topics very easily. I've got a good computer background, so I could expand outside of Cisco and networking fairly easily. I'd love to move through CCNP and CCSP, ultimately to CCIE.

Should I pursue the Masters degree?My company will provide $7,250 in tuition reimbursement.

Does anyone have experience with the schools listed above? Many of them look decent, but Capella is the one that really grabbed my attention. Their tuition seemed to be the most reasonable, and they have a MS with a security concentration.

Sorry for the lengthy post. This is what happens when a person lurks, then decides to purge. icon_wink.gif

I look forward to hearing input from anyone that may have some.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lots of questions..

i would suggest getting some hands on experience with the cisco hardware.. its still possible to get the current salary or close from the technical side of the industry with a ccna and some experience 50k-65k

getting the professional level certs will get you to the 70k -85k

the expert level 90k which is low but most make upwards of 105k+

as far as online colleges i wouldn't know as its something i haven't looked at much. but as far as the company paying for classes i would see if they would for the techincal area that you want to venture into
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons