Options

Programmer or Techie?

risingtechierisingtechie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
Okay, this is a little long winded but I've had a lot on my mind lately and I could really use some worldly wisdom or advice here.

I've been thinking about changing career paths. I'm currently finishing up my MCSE on Win2k (2 more tests). However, when I started this journey 2 1/2 years ago, I had just dropped out of college after pursuing a bachelors degree in applied mathematics so that I could work full time with my current employer. (Really stupid move looking back on it.) I was a junior at the time. I thought that IT certifications would be an excellent way to gain some valuable credentials while simultaneously gaining some real business experience. So far this plan has helped me make ends meet while my wife was looking for work after graduating from college about a year ago. However, we live and work in a rural area and the company I work for has a very small network of 20 computers or so running Windows XP and Win2003 server and we aren't growing very fast. So, I honestly think, the experience I'm getting there, is going to be of little or no use in getting a higher paying, higher profile position, despite the fact that I've been with the same company for over 7 years.

In addition to network administration, I also do a lot of application programming for both internal use and the company website. I'm familiar with C++, Visual Basic, Perl, Java, Assembly Language and programming directly with the Windows API and databases. I have also noticed that computer programmers make significantly more money than IT Pros when I look at the "Best Job" lists each year. I honestly enjoy programming more than I do tech work too. I find it challenging and it's sort of a creative outlet for me. Even my value at my current employer is based more on my programming skills than my tech skills although my certs and other job offers have certainly helped move me "climb the ladder" there. Not many people here have the skills or education that I do so it kind of makes me a "big fish in a little pond". I don't think I'd really be able to make the transition to the "big pond" I've been dreaming of with the qualifications that I have. So I've been looking for alternatives.

My wife and I were reviewing my course audit from the university I used to attend and it turns out that if I change majors at my old school, I'm only 1 and a half years away from completing a degree in Computer Information Science. It seems like a waste to be that close and not finish it. Although I can't afford to go back to school for about another year yet, I think I'd like to finish up my MCSE and then get my Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification followed by the Developer Certification. Then I'd like to attend school full time and finish my degree while working part time at my current workplace. Tehn, pursue a career in computer programming. I was just wondering if this idea of changing gears sounded like a good choice to you experienced guys or not and if anyone had any advice for me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Choose the career you will enjoy most. No matter which career path you choose, you should definitely finish your schooling and get your degree.

As far as certifications go, finish up the MCSE since you've only got a couple more tests to go. And while programming certifications won't hurt you, I wouldn't spend the time pursuing them. I work as a software engineer, and degrees with some experience have proven far more valuable than a certification. It's your choice, but, personally, I am not interested in getting a certification to show that I have the skills to do what I already learned in school.
  • Options
    thanks jaeusm,
    I definitely would like to go back and get my degree but for the time being, I can't really afford to. I'd like to go back full time but I can't take a cut in pay right now to work part-time and go to school full time. I'm hoping my wife finds a job that will make that possible. However, I probablly won't be able to go back for another year even if I did have the money so I hate to just sit on my hands and not earn any other credentials. What do you think is more important to employers during an interview: documented experience such as coding examples or credentials of proffesional development, such as certifications?
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work as a software engineer and I don't even put my certs on my resume. I as well as everybody I know puts their degrees and experience on their resume. Hope that helps.

Do you work on your own projects outside of work? You may not be able to show the source code you write for your company in an interview for legal reasons, so it helps if you can show code for your personal projects.

#1 tip I can give you: When you bring prgramming examples to an interview, don't just bring the source code. Bring in all documentation such as the flow charts you made before you started writting code, bug reports and fixes, test vectors, etc.
  • Options
    Hi int80h,
    Thanks for the help. Yes, I work on my own programs outside of work but I don't do much of it though because I always thought that programs I wrote on the job would be more important to a potential employer. That they'd like to see something that someone else thought was worth paying me to develop for them. Does personal work really carry that much weight?