Options

WGU: BSIT / Certifications question

shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE family,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while, gained a lot of valuable information and insight, thank you all. :)

Brief intro, I am an IT professional with more than 5 years of experience in enterprise systems, network and security administration. I also have also obtained a handful of IT certifications. I have technical experience with various industries, such as industrial controls, technical services, finance, Dept. of Defense, etc. I also do IT consulting part-time.

I am looking to start my IT bachelor's degree at WGU in early Q3 this year. I just had a couple of questions about the WGU College of IT and certifications that qualify for credit.

I am already in talks with an enrollment counselor, he has given me a questionnaire which also requires me to validate my certs.

1.) I am currently pursuing my CCNP:RS. This should be completed by EOM April, even as early as next week (Only TSHOOT exam left). My next goal is CISSP certification by end of Q2 this year, before I start at WGU.
a. Can I, and if so, how should I use these newly acquired certifications to count for WGU credit? I've seen some posts where certs acquired after you've been accepted in WGU will no longer count, even though you acquire them before your start of classes. I'm considering whether I should delay my application until after I complete CISSP.
b. Is it worth it? Is there an overlap with certs in similar domains, such as CCNP:RS and CCNA:RS / CISSP and Sec+. Do they award higher level certs the same number of credits as entry level ones? If the number of credits are the same, there is no point in waiting to submit the newer certs.

c. I believe there is a policy to only qualify certs that are current and were obtained in the last 5 years. I got my A+ in 2011, but renewed it when I got my Sec+ in 2013 and renewed them both (CEs) in 2016. Will the A+ cert count?

2.) WGU
Quick background, after graduating HS, I was not sure what I wanted to do in life (common problem haha). I actually was enrolled in a Cisco NetAcad technical course for 2 years in HS, and even took some vocational (non-credit) electronics and telecommunications classes at a local college. But, I wandered around for a couple of years before getting my first IT job and realizing that this is what I wanted to do. I am married now with one son (toddler), working a job with pretty great pay. But, I now see the importance of higher education to make you a more well rounded and marketable (along with the skills, experience, certifications, etc.) professional, and so that I'm able to take my career to the next level. In fact, reading the forum and seeing stories of people in similar situations like me succeed is very inspiring :), reading the WGU reviews cemented it as my school of choice.
a. Do you have any advice and tips for someone who has IT experience, training and certs but starting college as a freshman? (and who is married with a child)

b. From your experience, will the competency-based model allow me to complete my bachelor's degree quickly?

c. I am leaning towards the BS:IT - Security degree, but I have seen the new BS:CIA that just came out. What do you guys think are the pros and cons between these programs?

Thank you again,
/shima
Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...