Options

Offer in hand / signed, Will be resigning, Won't see manager till Monday

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I have signed an offer letter (with a start date indicated), for a company I have interviewed for, so I will be resigning from my current here VERY soon. I want to give my current employer the right amount of time and I want to do this the right way but my manager is working remote today and I won't physically see him again until Monday. He is reachable via phone / email / through company communicator chat.

I want to be able to tell him face-to-face but also want to give him as much time as possible. I dread doing this over a phone call, etc but seems I have no choice. His manager is in office today but I don't think it would be appropriate to tell him face-to-face (I would obviously communicate first to my manager via email / phone / etc. prior to even taking that added approach, if it's even necessary).

Thoughts?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So I have signed an offer letter (with a start date indicated), for a company I have interviewed for

Would've been more impressed if you signed an offer for a company you didn't have a interview for :P jk

I would probably go right to HR and discuss it with them. I agree that would not want to do that over a phone call.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This seems like a predicament of what you would LIKE to do compared with what you CAN do. Like NetworkNewb said, I would talk to HR and explain exactly what you WANTED to do, but what is preventing you from doing so. I think HR would appreciate you if you are sincere. If your boss has a cow about it, he'll have to get over it. Not your fault.

Congrats on the new position!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They always have a cow lol

Standard Operating Procedure.......
  • Options
    As in go to the HR of the new company and ask for more time?
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No way... You go to your current HR and tell them what you wanted to tell your boss. When I left Home Depot, I wrote a personalized Letter of Resignation to each of the 4 head managers (General Manager, Assistant General Manager, HR Manager, and Maintenance Manager [my boss]). It was overkill, but that's how I do things, and a couple of them were out of the office.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Current HR, tell them you just accepted an offer at another company today would like to put in your 2 weeks. And that you haven't told your manager and wanted to tell him face-to-face rather than over the phone or via email.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As in go to the HR of the new company and ask for more time?

Bwahahahaha!

Okay, now seriously:
    If your "manager" is someone that you have a strong relationship with; and is someone you will be "keeping in touch with" (ie: need a reference, etc), then PICK UP the phone and call him directly.

On the otherhand, if you don't have a lasting relationship with these peoples....
    shoot an email to HR and then take a 2-Hour Lunch.

Deuces!!
  • Options
    I've known my manager for a total of 5 years, of that he's been my manager the last 6-7 months. So I feel I can have pretty candidate conversation with him don't feel I need to go the HR route to give my resignation (at least not directly anyway). I could always come in tomorrow as well, since he will be here. I just normally am not in that day. This way I can have the face-to-face. I am just trying to be as respectful as possible. I anticipate some tension because I am leaving on a pending promotion (that has shown no end-in-site of coming to fruition).
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Face to face is generally better, however I've done the over the phone thing when a manager was on vacation for a week and I wanted to get started on my two weeks notice and when my manager worked out of town from me.

If for some reason your manager is hypersensitive and you need to rely on that manager as a reference, or because he knows people, then I'd deal with the manager in person. If the manager is not one you need to rely on longterm, just call him. Explain you wanted to talk in person, but timing was a concern as well. If he's reasonable he'll understand.

As an aside, it sounds like you've been hanging there for a promotion that has never been finalized. If I understand correctly, then I would say your current manager has probably been partly to blame, at least, that this promotion never came to fruition. So, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over telling him in person or over the phone.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you've known the guy for 5 years I think a phone call would be fine since he's out of office. At least give him a heads up before if you're going to HR. I wouldn't go to HR personally though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always have to do my resignation over the phone since I work remote. My last manager I met once in two yrs. He was a voice on the phone. I wouldn't worry about doing a phone call to resign it happens. I always give my two weeks but never get to work it. The day I resign I have to go into the office that day and turn my stuff in. They pay me out the two weeks and that is that. I also have a deal with the new company that if the old company lets me go early I can start earlier. This way I can double dip for two weeks or so. I have done it a few times and the extra money is awesome
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP - congrats on your new job. If your manager is working today and you must resign today because you committed yourself to a start-date already, definitely resign to your manager. I've never had a problem with people resigning on the phone if the reason is because the individual already committed to a start date. If you simply preface the conversation with the fact that you would have preferred to do it face-to-face but you didn't want to wait, you should be fine. I've always appreciated knowing sooner than later.

FWIW - I always thought it was very cowardly and poor form whenever someone doesn't resign to me and went to HR. HR doesn't make hire/fire decisions and they support management - they are not management.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Definitely want to reach out to him and let him know ASAP in every situation.
  • Options
    I figured he would go to HR and tell now so his 2 weeks wouldn't extend out an extra day at the company he is resigning from. And that he would still tell his manager face-to-face tomorrow morning and let HR know he wanted to. (before HR told his manager his decision) Think its respectful to tell the manager face to face than over a phone call, but to each their own. Guess it depends on his relationship with his manager. I've always scheduled a meeting with my past managers.

edit: missed the part where you said you won't see him til next Monday... Yea, I'd call him ;)
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You aren't breaking up with your manager the way you break up a romantic relationship. You aren't THAT important to his/her day to day life.

Phone call is fine. Trust me, as a manager who has taken a resignation a time or two, I would rather have the TIME to start preparing my team for your departure than your face to face time, no offense intended. The end result is always the same, the employee is leaving. Time is my best friend, not your etiquette.

-scott
  • Options
    I've decided I will do this face-to-face since work is not very far away. Also I talked with the new company's HR and they are fine with giving me the time I need to get things worked out at my current employer.

Now I am trying to decide when is best to write a letter of resignation and since I am already having a face-to-face with my manager is it still needed?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've decided I will do this face-to-face since work is not very far away. Also I talked with the new company's HR and they are fine with giving me the time I need to get things worked out at my current employer.

Now I am trying to decide when is best to write a letter of resignation and since I am already having a face-to-face with my manager is it still needed?
    Well done icon_thumright.gif - that's certainly the best scenario. As for letter of resignation, don't sweat it. I'm sure your manager can let you know what they need. Usually, they will need a record of voluntary termination.

Good luck in your new job and hopefully you are taking some downtime between jobs.