Help me with CISSP experience requirements

mjt29mjt29 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

So I am about the start studying for this exam but I have some worries with my experience and wish the run it by everyone here.

So I have 11 years experience in the IT field and a BS in Information Technology.

Eight years of this experience was in the role of Network Security-Network administrator and Assistant Network administrator. The rest of the experience is help desk and desktop support.

The issue is I left the field for 6 years and came back two years ago and did help desk for a very large US financial institution. I've decided to completely focus on security now, but the experience I have that mostly qualifies me is older.

As I'm fighting for my life to re-establish myself in the field I feel the CISSP will do that for me.

What does everyone this feel my odds of meeting the experience requirements would be for this exam would if I need ISC do sponsor? I don't personally know any CISSP's.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mjt29 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

So I am about the start studying for this exam but I have some worries with my experience and wish the run it by everyone here.

So I have 11 years experience in the IT field and a BS in Information Technology.

Eight years of this experience was in the role of Network Security-Network administrator and Assistant Network administrator. The rest of the experience is help desk and desktop support.

The issue is I left the field for 6 years and came back two years ago and did help desk for a very large US financial institution. I've decided to completely focus on security now, but the experience I have that mostly qualifies me is older.

As I'm fighting for my life to re-establish myself in the field I feel the CISSP will do that for me.

What does everyone this feel my odds of meeting the experience requirements would be for this exam would if I need ISC do sponsor? I don't personally know any CISSP's.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Had to check my CISSP endorsement form but I didn't find anything about how old the experience can be. Unlike with ISACA it has to be recent. Why don't you ask customer support just to be sure? With me, they have always been helpful in chat.

Get the outline from the ISC2 site, check if your experience is in 2 or more domains. If you don't qualify you can apply for an Associate of ISC2 designation upon passing the exam.

Your endorser doesn't have to be a CISSP he can hold another active ISC2 certification. If you don't know any ISC2 certified member you can get ISC2 itself to endorse you. They basically check you're not lying on your form.

If I were the one hiring I'd like the CISSP in your resume, but I'd ask you some security analyst questions seeing as you'd be coming form a helpdesk position. Because in most jobs we don't want just book knowledge.

I encourage you to get certified and keep studying, it will probably pay off.

What jobs do you want to apply to when you get the CISSP cert?
  • mjt29mjt29 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just shooting for an ISA 1 position right now.