Options

How to set .txt files to open with Excel 16 ( O365 ) ?

Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know you can right click, then open with, then select Excel. When I search for Excel and select it, it doesn't stick.

I also tried the Default Programs option in control panel, changing the program that opens .txt files.

I think I might have to edit the registry but does anyone know what exactly? Or any other work arounds?

Thanks,

Q

EDIT: Found a fix, needed to edit a registry key to point to Excel.exe

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I'm a little curious; why do you want to open .txt files with Excel?
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Windows 10

I was able to right click on the .txt file open with default program and select excel and after reboot it still opens .txt with excel.

Just saying.
  • Options
    Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To the above posters :

This was for an employee at my company.

Also I needed to do this for Windows 7.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would still ask why he wants to do that. Honestly, without knowing more it sounds like this employee needs to be educated as to the applications and what they do.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No idea if it works on the Microsoft spreadsheet product, but renaming the txt extension to csv allows LibreOffice Calc to open a text file in Windows 8. Worth a try.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Right click -> Open with -> Choose Default Program

When you select which program to open with, there should be a check box at the bottom that says "Always use this program to open this type of file". Check that box before you click save.