Options

Cracked My First Phone Today!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
A few months ago I got brought on as a Mobile Forensic Investigator. Agency has provided me all of my training, which I completed last week. A Detective brought me a phone that they were able to do a physical extraction on, but lacked the password to get into the phone and enable the options needed to do a logical extraction. Took me a few days, but happy to report I was successful in obtaining the password. I have done a number of phone extractions thus far, but this was the first where the phone was locked and were unable to get in.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on making it happen. Cool stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So how did you end up getting the password to the phone? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you. ;)

It was a combo of things, but the important piece was to get a copy of the device_policies.xml. This file will actually tell you the length of the password, how many uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numeric characters and nonnumeric characters. From there I was able to look at some information in the extraction to discern a possible password. I had the hash and salt values so I placed them into another program with a wordlist and bam got the password.

I was utilizing hashcat, but without knowing the length I had to go through each length (with this device 15 characters is the max). With a four and six character length password (utilizing a GPU) it took 48 hours to run through every iteration. With a length of eight characters I was looking at 3 months to go through every iteration. Since I obtained the password I forwarded to a 10 character password length and with one GPU it would take 3 years and 61 days to crack.

Made for a very late night because once I get into something letting it go tends to be an issue.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was this an iphone? IIRC the FBI paid something like $1.5 million to the San Bernardino shooters iphone.

Great job!
  • Options
    Thanks! Sadly was not an iPhone, though based on a solicitation I received to crack the phone it would have cost $10 to $15k.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome to hear! Was it stuff from the XRY course that enabled you to do that?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good job!!! High five!!!!!!!!

When I read the file, I thought you dropped your phone a broke it lol.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was going to post something snarky, but after reading this all I can say is Bravo Zulu!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    gale_gale_ Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was going to post something snarky, but after reading this all I can say is Bravo Zulu!!

Haha. I thought he broke his iPhone screen.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that sounds pretty awesome, good work!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Awesome to hear! Was it stuff from the XRY course that enabled you to do that?

The XRY training I received definitely helped me! Without the physical extraction and analysis training I received I wouldn't have been able to collect the information I needed. Also, from the final course on JTAG and Chip Off I wouldn't have known ahead of time where to obtain the hash and salt values. Hindsight being 20/20 as I was doing research that information is available on the web (for getting the sha and salt), but nice to have done it on a test phone before performing the work on a device possibly containing evidence.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice!! Out of curiosity, why did you need to do a logical when you already pulled a physical extraction? Not questioning your 1337 hax0rng sklz, just curious.