Options

Recovering read only files copied from backup CD

I recently copied a backup of some files from my WinMe machine to a CD and later upgraded to WinXP.

I have been trying to copy back the files from the CD to my XP box but everytime the process terminates with a dialogue box asking me if i want to transfer a certain read only file or skip it and no matter what i choose, the process just stops.

I need to copy the files to the system first inorder to change the attributes but its proving to be a pain in the butt.

The files are on a CD-R so changing the attributes from windows doesn't work.

I have tried using DOS with the xcopy \ *.* command but it returns a message that there was an error creating the files.

I have looked almost everywhere in the web including microsoft support.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. icon_sad.gif
Hard times on planet earth.

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    xcopy {file} \c
    With the \c syntax it continues copying even if errors occur

Maybe this will help icon_confused.gif:
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Thanks mate but it didn't work. I'm trying to recover the entire data from the CD.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    After several trials of the xcopy command, it worked but several folders copied were empty.

I finally decided to try ISObuster and surprisingly managed to copy the files to the hard drive although they are still inaccessible. Initially i had managed to copy some files from a cd to the hard disk and later made them accessible but i can't remember everything i did unfortunately.

I'll highlight you on my progress just incase i succeed. :D