Options

working from home

2»

Comments

• Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    An employer pays you money to work ! People goofing off and not putting in what is required is the same thing as stealing.

People :) if you are consistently goofing off

obviously, your in the wrong place !
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in a Threat Intel role, everyone in the CSO's org works at least 1 day from home, there is myself and 3-4 others that are 100% WFH... I spent 6.5 years driving 3 hours away. staying in a hotel on my own dime for 2 nights working 3 days in our HQ and 2 days at home. was going to leave for a lot more money. My company countered, and I am now fully remote with a 6 figure base and variable comp. I have a dedicated office in the basement, and work more with less distractions than in the office and greatly more productive. I know a couple GRC/Risk guys from other companies in my area as well. I get to spend much more time with the family and dont spend 6+ hours a week in a car. I would be hard pressed to go back into an office environment. still travel to HQ about once every 2-3 months on the companies dime, for 2-3 days :)

Remote isnt for everyone, if you dont have the self-discipline to do your job, without someone watching over you, then remote is just going to cause you trouble
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    powerfool wrote: »
    I don't get this sentiment about goofing off... maybe you just don't like your job enough... maybe find something that is more interesting to you. Sure, I from time to time goof off... but I did that in the office, too. However, most of the time I am working hard and sometimes "quitting time" passes by before I have realized it.

Agreed

Doesn't make sense to me either. I deliver fast and more accurately when I am working from home.

It is nice to listen to music and churn out code.....

Not being exposed to office politics is beautiful. That to me is a killer.....
  • Options
    ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, there's Junior/Entry-level WFH roles. How Junior/Entry-level varies by position. This goes for IT/Dev/Sec. You just have to know where to look. However, you'll still be expected to contribute, and to be able to show minimum necessary skills. If you want to learn on the job, you're going to have to go into an Office for at least a little while.

As far as taking an Office job and turning it into a WFH job, YMMV. Depends on what you're supporting and the culture of the workplace you're at. The last place I worked for, most IT roles were oncall and service-based so breaking away from the office was like pulling teeth.
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    ira.a wrote: »
    Yes, there's Junior/Entry-level WFH roles. How Junior/Entry-level varies by position. This goes for IT/Dev/Sec. You just have to know where to look. However, you'll still be expected to contribute, and to be able to show minimum necessary skills. If you want to learn on the job, you're going to have to go into an Office for at least a little while.

As far as taking an Office job and turning it into a WFH job, YMMV. Depends on what you're supporting and the culture of the workplace you're at. The last place I worked for, most IT roles were oncall and service-based so breaking away from the office was like pulling teeth.

junior, intermediate, senior

means nothing

one junior at one company could be a senior at another

one senior at another could mean a junior at another

what matters is what you do in your role and money !!!
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !