Options

My Version of the WGU Story....

Comments

• Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LXO-104 passed this morning!

That takes care of Operating Systems II ( C698 ), making a total of 25 credits for July. Not bad at all considering the delay in getting a camera.

As a plus, I get the LPIC-1 certification in addition to the Linux+.

Next up is Network+, and I have already started. Tonight is also the start of the in-class CISSP course.

Will do a full update later, with all courses completed, in progress and still to come.
  • Options
    TjaljewTjaljew Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    impressive progress. thumbs up icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    SH02SH02 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, THANK YOU very much for the detailed update. You have inspired me to get things going for the IT - Network Admin program.

Looking at the application, it is asking me to list my prior education as part of the transcript verification step. Just curious, you obviously applied, then decided to continue higher education elsewhere. Did you have to re-apply after you completed all the courses or did they let you just continue to attend other schools after you were accepted?
  • Options
    After you apply, there is a credit evaluation process that takes place. Once that is completed, you will have an interview, arrange financial matters, etc. That is when you are officially enrolled.

I was taking exams and classes through Straighterline, Aleks, etc. even while my credit evaluation was being performed. As I passed, I just kept sending it in. You can continue taking classes/exams for transfer credit right up until you are enrolled. If I recall, your final transfer evaluation needs to be complete by the 15th or 22nd of the month before you start.

None of my credit earned this year was from a "school". I used CLEP, DANTES, ALEKS and Straighterline, as well as studying for exams on my own. For those, I found uCertify to be fantastic. I was upfront with my enrollment counselor and he was actually very supportive. The hardest part really is staying focused, and that continues to be true. If you want to accelerate, and are serious about it, the people at WGU have been amazing at supporting it.

In fact, I just emailed my mentor to open up the assessment for Network+. I told
    Him I wouldn't request the voucher until I was comfortable with my post asessment score, and it was ready to go five minutes later. He doesn't want to be the obstacle and I have proven my ability to stick with it, and get the grades. I literally couldn't ask for anything more.
  • Options
    RapidprogramRapidprogram Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would the CIW Exam 1D0-541 knock out both the Data Management – Foundations and the Data Management – Applications?
  • Options
    CIW doesn't cover both. However, you can cover foundations with the MTA, and Appliccations with the CIW. If you can pass the CIW, the MTA is far easier.
  • Options
    SH02SH02 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I officially submitted my application to WGU (still need to do the assessment). I feel like I should have had you refer me so you could get something out of it!!

I may have a chance for a paid bootcamp for a microsoft course and possibly an intermediate ITIL course.

Since this paid training is pending planning/approval, I think I want to get started with COM101 so I don't waste this "down time".

General thoughts/rough plan:

Straighterline
    Introduction to IT (SL IT101)
    Introduction to Communication (SL COM101)
    Scripting and Programming - Foundations (SL CS101 - Intro to C++)
    *Maybe College Algebra and/or Intro to Statistics

Aleks
    Intermediate Algebra

CLEP
    Composition I (If my "Introduction to College Writing" class I already had doesn't eliminate this)
    Composition II
    Technical Communication (Technical Writing Course)
    *Maybe College Algebra

I likely have a few more gen ed but can't plan those until I know what transfers.

Problems:
    Aleks - I have yet to figure out how to enroll with this and how it works. I don't see where I pay $20/month for access. I found some course voucher for 2 math courses that was over $800. Do you just pay for a test or for a full course? Do you have to go to a testing center for final exams or online proctor?

CLEP - Testing center required. I live in Germany and may not be eligible to utilize the testing center on the US base where I work (also need to verify they offer CLEP proctoring). If not, I think I will just go with SL for these courses (or maybe just do it with WGU).

Any thoughts on which gen ed courses/exams were better with CLEP, Aleks, SL or other? I read some complaints that SL does not quiz/teach what shows up on the final exam.

I have not reviewed IT certifications yet. That will be my next planning effort once I get a better grasp on these gen ed credits.

I hope to accelerate the degree completion as well. I have been super impressed with your ability to schedule and pass ALL of the exams. Not even one re-take mentioned!

I believe I will need a bit more time. I spent a 4 full days studying for Sec+ (even though I work in IT and at the time ITSEC) and was sweating a bit during the exam for any questions that were not logical. I expect A+ to be even tougher because so much of it is memory. This is my biggest issue for certification exams in general...

Anyway (depending on what gets transferred and am able to complete ahead of time) I think I may need at least 3 terms with WGU a for the BSIT Network Administration program. Hoping to not go more than that to save costs.
  • Options
    SH02 wrote: »
    I officially submitted my application to WGU (still need to do the assessment). I feel like I should have had you refer me so you could get something out of it!!

No worries. Glad to see you starting the process!
    I may have a chance for a paid bootcamp for a microsoft course and possibly an intermediate ITIL course.

Since this paid training is pending planning/approval, I think I want to get started with COM101 so I don't waste this "down time".

That was my approach. Once you start focusing on it, you will be stunned by exactly how much downtime you have, on even your busiest days.
    General thoughts/rough plan:

Straighterline
    Introduction to IT (SL IT101)
    Introduction to Communication (SL COM101)
    Scripting and Programming - Foundations (SL CS101 - Intro to C++)
    *Maybe College Algebra and/or Intro to Statistics

Aleks
    Intermediate Algebra

CLEP
    Composition I (If my "Introduction to College Writing" class I already had doesn't eliminate this)
    Composition II
    Technical Communication (Technical Writing Course)
    *Maybe College Algebra

I likely have a few more gen ed but can't plan those until I know what transfers.

Problems:
    Aleks - I have yet to figure out how to enroll with this and how it works. I don't see where I pay $20/month for access. I found some course voucher for 2 math courses that was over $800. Do you just pay for a test or for a full course? Do you have to go to a testing center for final exams or online proctor?

Go to the Aleks homepage.Click "Independent Use & Home School" in the top nav. Then click "Buy Aleks Now" on the left nav on in the middle of the page. From there, you should be good.
    CLEP - Testing center required. I live in Germany and may not be eligible to utilize the testing center on the US base where I work (also need to verify they offer CLEP proctoring). If not, I think I will just go with SL for these courses (or maybe just do it with WGU).

Any thoughts on which gen ed courses/exams were better with CLEP, Aleks, SL or other? I read some complaints that SL does not quiz/teach what shows up on the final exam.

When I get done with this process, I am going to do a full write up on accelerating, especially the beginning portion. That said, here are my notes that were successful for me.

1. Anything Math related, take through Aleks. That includes Statistics.

2. Generally, anything you can test through is preferable to a course you have to take. If you feel you can do a day or two of studying, and pass the CLEP exam, go for it. That is far better than slogging through a course on material you already know.

3. Once Aleks and CLEP/DANTES are done, Straighterline is your next best choice. Try to get 4 or more classes through Straighterline, as it reduces your tuition at WGU.

4. Take Technical Communications through WGU. MY understanding is that this is your proposal for your capstone. Waiving it through another course could mean you don't have the same kind of feedback that will be beneficial with the capstone.

5. Once it gets hard trying to match up courses, switch over to tech certifications.

6. Remember that you have to take at least 25% of your credits through WGU. It is absolutely possible to exceed that limit, so be careful.
    I have not reviewed IT certifications yet. That will be my next planning effort once I get a better grasp on these gen ed credits.

I hope to accelerate the degree completion as well. I have been super impressed with your ability to schedule and pass ALL of the exams. Not even one re-take mentioned!

Don't take my success as a baseline. I am very fortunate in that I learn well independently, am currently out of work, and happen to be someone who tests well. That isn't a combination that everyone has, and it doesn't have to be discouraging.

Also, remember that the term timer doesn't apply to what you are doing before you enroll. You can always push back enrollment at WGU for 1, 2 even 3 months. I knocked out 50 credits before I started WGU. By that point, I was so into the acceleration mode that it has carried over. Take advantage of that time to learn what works best for you, and then ride the momentum.
    I believe I will need a bit more time. I spent a 4 full days studying for Sec+ (even though I work in IT and at the time ITSEC) and was sweating a bit during the exam for any questions that were not logical. I expect A+ to be even tougher because so much of it is memory. This is my biggest issue for certification exams in general...

My experience is that it isn't a logical thing. CompTIA has a way of presenting things that doesn't match the language of the practical world. It isn't necessarily bad or wrong, but it does read strangely. I think the best comparison would be translated English. That said, after a couple of exams from CompTIA, you get used to the tone. The bigger trap is falling into a different tone. Earlier I posted about that problem with uCertify. The questions on uCertify are more comfortable, so you get lulled into them. Then, when you hit CompTIA, it is jarring. Be forewarned.
    Anyway (depending on what gets transferred and am able to complete ahead of time) I think I may need at least 3 terms with WGU a for the BSIT Network Administration program. Hoping to not go more than that to save costs.

Go for it! There is a great supportive community here!
  • Options
    Duh, duh, duh... another one bites the dust!

Network+ passed this afternoon. Somewhere in studying the OSI model suddenly made sense. I can't point out where or when, but it did. Subnetting is a whole other question. I can work through it now with success, but it does NOT happen intuitively. I can't say enough positives about Seven Second Subnetting from Professor Messer. Without it, I would have been lost.

On to the update. This is where things stand now.

Completed:
    Orientation (ORA1)
    Introduction to IT (C182)
    Critical Thinking and Logic ( C168 )
    Spreadsheets ( C268 )
    Web Development Foundations (C779)
    Business of IT - Applications (C179)
    Operating Systems I (C697)
    Operating Systems II ( C698 )
    Networks (C480)

Working on:
    Principles of Management (C483)
    Business of IT - Project Management (C176)

Up Next:
    Technical Communication ( C768 )
    Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices (C246)
    Interconnecting Network Devices (C247)
    Designing Customized Security (C299)
    IT Capstone Written Project (C769)

I switched C483 and C176. I wanted to take a break, small though it may be, between CompTIA tests.

After those two are done, I will work on C768, so I have my Capstone proposal completed. That should provide a nice change of pace between the CompTIA series, and getting into the harder areas of Cisco testing. It will also let me dedicate some cycles to how I want to approach my Capstone.

Given the delay in getting my camera, I am actually on track. I wanted to get Linux+ and Network+ completed in July, but the 11 day delay put a cramp in that plan. Nonetheless, I beat the revised deadline of 8/8. I had originally planned on C483 and C176 taking the month of August, but I am thinking that was a bit too long. By all accounts, both tests are fairly intuitive. That, coupled with 20+ years in the field, I think I can knock them both out in fairly short order. So, the revised plan is:

C483 - Test by 8/11.
    C176 - Test by 8/18.
    C768 - Initial draft in by 8/25. Final revisions by 8/31.

C768 is the biggest variable. Once my initial draft is in, I will start studying for the CCENT, which is C246. I don't want to wait around for the revisions process, without working on the next thing. But, I don't want to take a guess at timelines for the CCENT or CCNA, without first getting my head into them.

That's all for now. Time to study for the third CISSP class tonight, and for C483.
  • Options
    Well, that was fast.

Took the pre-assessment for C483 Principles of Management, and scored "Exemplary".

Scheduled the assessment for 4 pm, and passed. One more down. That makes 33 credits in 27 days.

On to Project Management and the CompTIA Project+ exam.
  • Options
    RapidprogramRapidprogram Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What about the CCNA R&S, Will it cover both the Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices(ICND1) and the Networks(NET+)???
    thanks for the previous answer btw
  • Options
    Caveat: I am in the BSIT Security program, as opposed to the Network Administration program.

For my degree:
    The CCNA (no specialty) includes two tests, ICND1 and ICND2. The first test (ICND1) is the same as the CCENT.

A specialty on the CCNA, such as R&S, Security, etc. is an additional test beyond the first two. For the Security specialization, that test is 210-260 IINS.

Therefore, if you have the CCNA:R&S prior to enrolling, it would mean that you have already completed ICND1. Therefore, the Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices course would be marked as complete. The reason being that you can't take an exam that you have already taken and completed. I am under the impression that it would also cover Network+, but I am not 100% sure on that. You would need to verify with an enrollment counselor.
  • Options
    One more down makes three for the week. Just knocked out the Project+ certification, so C483 is history. Moving on to Technical Communications, and starting to study for ICND1.

Completed:
    Orientation (ORA1)
    Spreadsheets ( C268 )
    Networks (C480)

Working on:

Up Next:
  • Options
    Just a quick update. Task 1 and Task 2 for C768 - Technical Communications have been submitted. This is my first experience with Taskstream, and holy hell. I get it. I understand why everyone hates it so very much.

Next step is the RFP response. Someone kill me now. I have found myself studying for ICND1 for a break. I will be quite happy when this class is over, and I can get back to actual technology.
  • Options
    All three tasks for C768 are in the Taskstream queue: positions 4, 20 and 46.

My course mentor asked about my plans for the Capstone, and wanted to work with me on it. I told him I would be working on the capstone next, splitting my time between it and the CCNA. He sent over the approval form, and we discussed my intended project over email. I sent him the completed form, and my project was approved!

Now, I have the proposal template that I am working on, along with the CCENT material, all while Taskstream slowly creeps its way along...

Assuming all is good with the Taskstream papers, only 4 classes, 3 exams and 2 papers left for my degree!!
  • Options
    It's been a few days, so here is an update on where things are.

C768 - Technical Communication
    This beast is done. It took a while to get results back from Taskstream, but it is finally over.

C769 - Capstone
    While waiting for Taskstream, my course mentor asked if he could be my mentor for the capstone. We work well together, so I agreed, and he sent the initial documents and forms over. I submitted my idea for my capstone, and it was approved. I also wrote the problem, solution and implementation portions of the proposal. Also completed are the human subjects evaluation, and I have reached out to my former boss to get authorization to use the working documents from my effort last year that is the subject of the capstone. Should have the working documents by end of week, and can start knocking the capstone out. Because of the reversal, I may well finish the capstone before the 3 Cisco certs.

C246 - Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
    This is for the Cisco ICND1 exam. It leads to the CCENT certification, and is the first half of the CCNA certification. I am working my way through the materials and the labs. So far, most of this has been review of previous materials, with a few unique twists in place to keep me honest. IOS is actually a pretty intuitive OS, but that may change as I delve deeper into it. The only downside to ICND1 is the sheer volume of information.

CISSP
    I am also taking an in-class CISSP course through the local community college. 3 weeks down, 2 weeks to go. So far, all of the certs are starting to blend together. Security+, Network+, Project+, CCENT and CISSP all overlap on content, so it is being reinforced from all angles. Each one has its own specifics that need to be compartmentalized, but this isn't nearly as bad as I feared. Like ICND1, there is just a lot of information to digest.

Summary
    101 credits complete, out of 123 credits required. 19 weeks left in term. I am well on track for mid-October finish, as was targeted.

Completed:
    Orientation (ORA1)
    Spreadsheets ( C268 )
    Networks (C480)

Working on:

Up Next:

At the end of this, I think I will write up a post specifically about accelerating at WGU, as a candidate for a sticky. Lots of people seem interested.
  • Options
    RandyRoyRandyRoy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's awesome! I can definitely say that it's been inspiring to read throughout the months .... Inspiring enough to signup with SL and take Intro to IT, Org and Behav and Script and Programming ... I've already transferred in about 33 credits and would transfer in another 10 with those. Thinking of going for the Project+ also and transfer those in ... Aiming for a 1 term finish! Good luck the rest of the way!
  • Options
    RandyRoy wrote: »
    That's awesome! I can definitely say that it's been inspiring to read throughout the months .... Inspiring enough to signup with SL and take Intro to IT, Org and Behav and Script and Programming ... I've already transferred in about 33 credits and would transfer in another 10 with those. Thinking of going for the Project+ also and transfer those in ... Aiming for a 1 term finish! Good luck the rest of the way!

Keep it up! If this thread does anything, it shows it can be done.

Think hard about adding a fourth course through Straighterline. If you transfer four courses in, it discounts your first term by $200. Basically, $50 per course for four or more courses.
  • Options
    RandyRoyRandyRoy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »

Think hard about adding a fourth course through Straighterline. If you transfer four courses in, it discounts your first term by $200. Basically, $50 per course for four or more courses.

Ok ... I have to look and figure out which class to take ... Those are the only 3 that I need for the degree so I guess I would have to transfer in a class that I've already received credit for ... I'll definitely take a look
  • Options
    RandyRoy wrote: »
    Ok ... I have to look and figure out which class to take ... Those are the only 3 that I need for the degree so I guess I would have to transfer in a class that I've already received credit for ... I'll definitely take a look

Something like Intermediate Algebra is a pretty easy one to knock out, and gets you the 4th class. Just a thought.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are looking for an additional Cisco R&S resource, I suggest danscourses.com. Click on the CCNA1 and CCNA2 links for CCENT topics.

And by the way, Packet Tracer is sufficient as a virtual lab environment. It's what I used. Not so much for CCNA Security, which I used GNS3.
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    If you are looking for an additional Cisco R&S resource, I suggest danscourses.com. Click on the CCNA1 and CCNA2 links for CCENT topics.

And by the way, Packet Tracer is sufficient as a virtual lab environment. It's what I used. Not so much for CCNA Security, which I used GNS3.

Right now, I am using the Boson NetSim that came with the WGU course, along with uCertify. I will look into the others as well.
  • Options
    Quick update on C769 - Capstone.

I received the signed authorization at 4 am. And submitted Task 1 this morning. 168 in the queue, but one more task checked off the list.

Next step is finishing the actual proposal!

----Edit----
    Minutes after I wrote the above, I received notification that my Taskstream submission was in evaluation. Just now got the notification that it passed. Task 1 off the list.

Also, a quick update on C246 for the CCENT. Last night, after I had gotten through the first 12 chapters of the uCertify study material, I decided to try one of the Boson practice exams. I have heard they are actually harder then the test, but I can't make a comparison, having not taken the test.

Long story short, I scored 700/1000, with 830ish as the passing cut. Not too bad, for being 1/3 of the way through the material!
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's great to see your tremendous progress over the months!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    It's great to see your tremendous progress over the months!

Much appreciated. I would be lying if I said the positive reinforcement here isn't a huge help.

Got into the Boson labs today for the first time, and cranked through several. I think this Cisco nonsense is starting to click!
  • Options
    Whew. It's been a while and Cisco is a *****.

I have gotten through the uCertify chapters, and I am working my way quickly through the Boson labs, doing fairly well. The concepts are clicking, and when I make mistakes, they are more "smack my head" mistakes, rather than "scratch my head" mistakes.

Went ahead and scheduled ICND1 for Thursday. By then, the labs will be done, and delaying any further only procrastinates.

I know some people were curious how well the Cisco stuff would accelerate. Short answer, not as well as the other stuff.

That said, a lot of my trepidation is around the unfamiliarity of the Cisco exams. I know CompTIA's style and tone well. Cisco is a whole new area. Combine that with the sheer volume of information, and this has been a hard one to stay focused on. Hopefully, all goes well and I will have some experience with the Cisco exam environment. I would really like to get through ICND2 a bit quicker, but time will tell.

On a related note, the last class for the CISSP is Wednesday. Next step is to set my appointment to get a voucher!
  • Options
    Quick update:

C246 - Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
    I went back and reviewed the end of chapter quizzes for all 36ish chapters. I then went through the practice questions on uCertify until all had been mastered. If you have done a uCertify course, it is a bank of every question, and they are provided semi-randomly in a steady stream. Once you have mastered each question 3 times in a row, it is marked as completed. Some practice exam sets are excruciating. For example, the Network+ had 554 questions in the set. At three times per question, that is 1662 questions. For the CCENT, the question set is 277 questions, for a total of 831 questions.

Exam is scheduled for Thursday, and I have been cranking through the labs, feeling good. I will knock out a Boson practice test in the morning, and another Thursday morning. If the Wednesday morning practice tests doesn't go well, that would be my time to reschedule. I don't see that happening. I am starting to feel pretty good about this.

C769 - IT Capstone
    Knocking out all 831 questions for the ICND1 had my brain a little fried, so I switched over to the Capstone for a change of pace. Clearly, it was the right thing to do, as I was able to knock out four more sections on the proposal. At this point, I just have Goals, Objectives and Deliverables, Project Timeline and Outcome to write, and I can get Task 2 turned in. From there, I just need to write the actual Capstone documenting the results. Since mine is based on an actual project that was accomplished last year, it should be pretty straightforward. I am hoping to have Task 2 turned in by Friday, with Task 3 (the final Capstone) turned in by the following Friday.

That will leave ICND2 and IINS to complete my degree, and bring a temporary pause to this incredible journey.

Whew!
  • Options
    ICND1 just passed. That was hard. I need a drink or six.
  • Options
    justdaveyjustdavey Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    ICND1 just passed. That was hard. I need a drink or six.

Congrats! It only gets better from here. :)
  • Options
    Okay, ICND1 is a couple days behind me. Time for an update.

As is usual, no details about the test. But, that was hard. For the first day or so, I thought my weakness was routing, of all things. With a day or two of clarity, I think it really boils down to troubleshooting. With any Cisco test, including practice tests and labs, you frequently have to hold some things in immediate memory while you dig down to whatever is actually causing the problem. I think that is actually what gave me fits. Don't get me wrong, I passed and I am happy, but I didn't pass as well as I would like to have passed.

Looking backward, I would have spent about 30% less time on the study material, and doubled the amount of time I spent labbing. What I lose from the former is more than made up in the latter. Plus, labbing reinforces the lessons from the study material anyway. I also am not a fan of the inability to move backwards and look at old questions. I dont usually go back and make changes, but the inability to do so sat in the back of my head the entire time. Anyway, that is behind me.

While I was studying for the ICND1, I would take breaks and work on my capstone proposal. It was nice to use a different part of the brain, and mix it up a bit. With ICND1 completed, I decided to go ahead and finish Task 2 of the Capstone, which is the actual Capstone proposal. I submitted it about an hour ago, before realizing that I had submitted it with tracking and full markup showing. I went back, cancelled my submission, cleaned up the original by accepting all of the changes, and resubmitting around 9:30 pm. I went in at number 77 in the queue, and am currently sitting at 76. Fingers are crossed.

I also started studying for the ICND2 this week. First 4 chapters in uCertify are complete. As I knock out each chapter, I am doing the end of chapter quizzes, as well as creating practice tests with all of the questions associated with that chapter. My thought is that the practice tests will be more helpful in reinforcing the information at the end of each chapter, rather than taking all of the questions after everything is done. I have now worked through the Ethernet VLANs, STP, and LAN Troubleshooting sections. Tonight I will start hitting the labs associated with each topic, and do so at the end of each subject area. At the end, I will go back and hit all of the labs again, to reinforce what I learned.

Goal is to sit for the ICND2 around 9/15, give or take a few days. It is an aggressive schedule, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point.

1 paper, and two Cisco exams to go. Wish me luck!