Options

Network technician,admin,engineer ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, im about to finish my AAS degree in computer networking at a junior college, im not at all proficient in the field but hope the university of southern Mississippi will get me to a place that ill actually be valuable. The question is, after completing this 4 year degree in computer networking that ABET accredited, what position will i be most likely ready for in the work

force.https://www.usm.edu/undergraduate/information-technology-networking-bs

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem with titles is that they're generally meaningless between companies. To make a general statement, tech>admin>engineer>architect, but not every company works that way. You'll find MSPs that call their entry level helpdesk "engineer".

With that disclaimer, a degree is great, but without any experience you're still starting near the bottom of the list. If possible try (HARD!) to get internships through school. If you really are without any IT experience I'd aim in the tech / maybe Jr admin sort of role and try to learn everything you can while there.
  • Options
    zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you thought about getting any certifications? Maybe start with a CCENT/CCNA during the summer then getting some experience? My brother has his CCNA or CCNP in R&S and a BS in IT and got a job as a Network admin or something and had job offers before he graduated, thanks to his certs. His first job he asked for 50k and got it. A few months later they raised him to 65k.