Theory and Commands

offmymoundoffmymound Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wodnering if not just for exams but also for future interviews if it is a must that commands are memorized intstead of just being familar with them. I know the theory should be known and you should be able to describe how any routing protocol works or the OSI model, TCP/IP on and on. But if I walk into an interview is somone going to ask me so how do you configure eigrp and have me write it down on a pice of paper? should I known it cold or just be familiar to the point where I can understand it and use commands if need be?

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never been asked in an interview for a specific command, usually just theory. At work, if you don't know the command, you can always look it up on Google or book or whatever resource.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been asked commands before. Personally I don't think it's the best interviewing method, but some people do. Theory is much more important to me, but I likely won't be the one interviewing you!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been asked commands in the passed. Often really. Anything CCNA level appears fair game. When I cant remember a command I try to explain the thought process I would use to get to the command. "I know I need to start with 'show' then I know I need the protocol 'ip' then I know I want to look at 'interfaces' . . . and finally I want to keep things 'brief'. . .
  • monteemontee Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my experience, if there's a technical interview component, then they can grill you on commands, or command output and you have to know how to interpret that output to conduct meaningful troubleshooting.

It really comes down to how much experience you have in the CLI, and what the Cisco "knobs" do to the protocol itself. In a real situation, the '?' is always helpful. I don't know every Cisco CLI command under the sun (nor do I want to). BUT, it is more important to know what vendor specific "bells and whistles" do with the protocol. For instance, in OSPF what does "default-information originate" do in Cisco land, whereas, the same function (injecting a default route) maybe called something else on a Juniper, or even on a Sophos firewall. On a firewall it may be called something else, but does the same thing (injects a default route).

So, in my opinion, asking CLI commands during an interview does not demonstrate that someone is a good fit for the position, nor does it demonstrate proficiency with a Cisco, or whatever flavor of networking device is out there. As I said, if it's a technical interview, then by all means, it is a valid question. But, I believe in learning the theory of the protocol, and the specific vendor implementation of that protocol, rather than learning what commands to enter. If you master the vendor's implementation of an IETF developed protocol, then you will know what those commands do and how they affect the functionality of the protocol.
  • CiscoNet SolutionsCiscoNet Solutions Banned Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do enough packet tracer labs and you will have no issue with show commands or basic switch/router configuration
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't even sweat it. Commands will just get "memorized" as you continually use them... which I assume you are while you're either labbing or working. If you're neither labbing nor working, then start labbing asap. There is so much else to worry about in a job interview, you don't need something as simple as this getting in your way.