Options

What to expect from a NOC/SOC Analyst Position?

fusestonefusestone Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, recently I had posted some information regarding the prospect of losing my current career (non IT) to outsourcing. However a few years ago I had gone back to school to complete a degree in Information Systems. I applied to 3 jobs recently all have called me for interviews one was a front end development position, one was for jr. Java programmer and the last for a NOC/SOC analyst, which I am the most interested in. Outside of school and some basic Air Force Reserve work regarding Information Security I have no "real" experience in Network Security. That being said I suppose I interviewed well enough during a telephone interview for the above mentioned NOC/SOC analyst job and they want to bring me in for a fully interview.
I know I can research what a NOC/SOC analyst does and I have but I want real world honest assessments.
My question to the board is this: What exactly can I expect doing in that role and what is the normal trajectory? As far as Certs is it Security + with long term goal of CISSP?

I am extremely interested in Network Security and I could certainly see myself working my butt off to learn and contribute in that role. Thank you very much to those who may have experience in that role and are willing to share.