Options

People of Service Desk/Help Desk

Benr98Benr98 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm soon about to step into a new service desk role. I will be going from supporting 4k+ users to 150.

How many users do you currently support?
How many calls do you take each day?
How many tickets do you solve each day?

Thx

Comments

• Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    everyone will have a different answer as it depends on the contract/client for one, and secondly depends on the agreed SLA's between client and company.

When i was on desk we supported 10k users on around 8 main sites. Probably taking around 20-35 calls a day. One of our SLA's was a minimum of 90% of incidents resolved with out having to pass to another team , so the first time fix rate was really high.

Other contracts you might not have a first-time-fix SLA but rather it'll be more weighted around call length and answer time, so in these cases you could be expected to get onto the next call within a minute, so you will mainly be logging incidents and passing to 2nd line teams to resolve
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    On a small user base of 150 users you are probably the one-stop-shop to fix 95% of issues, so there is unlikely to by much focus on the normal KPIs you measure in a service desk, and probably not even much formal call logging with all the process around it that you are used to.

The number of calls you get will be directly related to how well the IT is setup so there will be a lot of benefit to looking at ways to get it right (eg desktop builds) to create a stable, easily redeployable image with all the software present or making sure the groups are setup to enable easy role based access to the right files.

Forget sitting back and waiting for the calls to come to you - you need to be out there speaking to the staff, finding out how they use IT and proactively dealing with the issues (present or potential) that you see.

You also need to be looking for ways to save money or do more with less (eg lower cost printing) and quantify this when it comes to your appraisal.

All this combined will keep you constantly learning, stops you getting bored and increases your value to the business so you get a juicy bonus when the time comes.

So forget the questions you asked - this takes a different mindset but it becomes much more rewarding for everyone when you can do this.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my experience it depends on your release and change management strategy.

If the IDM is dropping updates that breaks SSO you are in a world of hurt. If the mail server keeps dropping or disconnecting or the wireless access points / network keeps dropping. It really depends on how good your infrastructure and senior teams. At least has been my experience.