Options

How far do you commute?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would agree with that. There are many times where I come up from my office and my wife is busy doing whatever and asks for my help. Usually I just do it then relax but there are times where I tell her I just need to decompress for a few minutes
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2 miles (3-4 minutes) from my house in a very nice area to a very small joint forces base (3 buildings) also in a very nice area. Didn't even know it existed but now that I've found it I don't want to leave.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    1hr 15 minutes. From NJ to Manhatten over NJ Transit. Its a train journey, which kind of makes up for the long time. I can just sit down and read stuff or do some work.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always thought that one's wiliness to put up with a commute is such a personal choice. And life circumstances and opportunities can play such a huge role.

The longest commute that I used to do was about 6 hours one way - about 350 miles. I would travel down on a Monday morning and return on Friday morning. I did that about 2 weeks a month for about 2 years.

The shortest commute was a walk down the hallway to my home office.

I've also done commutes of about 200 miles one way each week. Daily commutes on public transportation of about 60 minutes. And daily commutes in metro-areas of about 90 minutes.

I guess it all kinda just depends on what you will put up with for the opportunity.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dallas (Richardson/Plano area) to Las Colinas. Min 1 hr, average 1hr 15 min around 7:30AM. Going home leaving 10 min to 5 can be 45/50 min
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On most days, I can get to work in 15 minutes. No highway driving. It's one of the things that have kept me here so long, which is a gift and a curse
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    On the other hand, I know someone who is about 5 minutes walk to their workplace, and they think it's too close. They are concerned about running into colleagues/clients, and 5 minutes means they aren't getting the same incidental exercise they were.

My old job I literally lived across the street ( was a .6 mile drive)... That has its own headaches besides running into colleagues/clients. My boss at the time lived in Michigan. He knew how close I lived to the office (contact center) anytime the site had major issues, Bob would call and be like, "I know you are not on call, but can you run across the street and reboot such and such box?
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I commute 50 miles each way and it takes me 1 hour. It's not always about how far it is but how aggravating it is. Most of mine is on uncrowded open highway. I have had shorter commutes that were stop and go with bad traffic patterns. I get tired on the last 15 min coming home but moving is probably not an option at this point.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NYC so depending on the MTA either 40 minutes or 9092 hours for 6 miles
  • Options
    Master YodaMaster Yoda Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roughly 20 minutes one way so total daily commute 40 minutes. I work in a small office, I could probably attempt to go full time remote at some point in the future.