Help with Router / Switch connectivity

RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Posts: 35Member ■■□□□□□□□□
I have successfuly setup the techexam.net's RIP tech lab. Have two routers running RIP and successful PINGs on both ends.

Here's my question:

On one of my routers, I attached a 2950 switch. So port Fa 0/1 on router using cross-over to Switch port Fa 0/1.
I get NO activity lights on their ports....? But if I connect my laptop to either router or switch I get lights plus my PINGs worked on the RIP lab connecting to Fa 0/1 on the router.

Is there something I need to do on the switch. I set the speed/duplexxing etc....

Any assistance would be GREAT! :P

Comments

  • RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Posts: 35Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Correction the switch is a 3500 XL..

    Thought I through in the config

    version 12.0
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname switch3000
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    description trunk to RouterB
    duplex full
    speed 100
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    !
    OMITTED Interfaces
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface VLAN1
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    !
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    stopbits 1
    line vty 0 4
    login
    line vty 5 15
    login
    !
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Posts: 4,884Member
    Are you sure you need a crossover cable to connect router to switch? Try a standard cable.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • forbeslforbesl Posts: 454Member
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Are you sure you need a crossover cable to connect router to switch? Try a standard cable.
    You're correct. Router to switch should be a straight-through cable.
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    dmc wrote:
    On one of my routers, I attached a 2950 switch. So port Fa 0/1 on router using cross-over to Switch port Fa 0/1.
    I get NO activity lights on their ports....? But if I connect my laptop to either router or switch I get lights plus my PINGs worked on the RIP lab connecting to Fa 0/1 on the router.
    Hum.... you'd use a straight through cable to connect the router (or PC) to the switch.

    The crossover would be to connect the laptop directly to the router.

    If it works as you said with the same cable, then I wonder if your laptop network adaptor supports auto-MDIX

    You didn't mention the type of router... but auto-MDIX may be an option depending on your router & IOS version.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Posts: 35Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    dmc wrote:
    On one of my routers, I attached a 2950 switch. So port Fa 0/1 on router using cross-over to Switch port Fa 0/1.
    I get NO activity lights on their ports....? But if I connect my laptop to either router or switch I get lights plus my PINGs worked on the RIP lab connecting to Fa 0/1 on the router.
    Hum.... you'd use a straight through cable to connect the router (or PC) to the switch.

    The crossover would be to connect the laptop directly to the router.

    If it works as you said with the same cable, then I wonder if your laptop network adaptor supports auto-MDIX

    You didn't mention the type of router... but auto-MDIX may be an option depending on your router & IOS version.

    Guys , i found and tried another straight through, which worked! weird maybe i was using two crossovers, i thought i check the PIN layout....:)

    The router is a 7145. its sweet a$$!!!!

    MDIX option would auto.matically change from cross to straight or vice versa correct???

    thanx for your responses!!!
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    dmc wrote:
    MDIX option would auto.matically change from cross to straight or vice versa correct???
    Correct
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Posts: 35Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    dmc wrote:
    MDIX option would auto.matically change from cross to straight or vice versa correct???
    Correct

    Word up Mike J- thanks dude! :o
Sign In or Register to comment.