Options

Change degree plans?

Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
So wgu has their new cybersecurity degree plan. I am currently enrolled in the it security plan. I want to be in the cybersecurity side of it so I would assume that degree has a better focus on what is needed for that area. However, since I am in the situation of already being enrolled and have to wait a little bit, is there anything that the IT Security degree has that the cyber security does not but would be good to have for cybersecurity? should I take advantage of the potential extra classes or should I just cut bait and go full bore for my cybersecurity degree, then go after certs post graduation?

As an extra reference, I am currently in law enforcement and have not had an it related job in over 5 years. I am looking to move back into it on the security side preferably but need any it right now. So if that changes the ideas let me know!

Comments

• Options
    scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not even sure what the difference between IT security and cyber security is in general.
  • Options
    Rylee1246Rylee1246 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You would want to look at the two degree plans since they are different.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not even sure what the difference between IT security and cyber security is in general.
    One is an IT degree with a focus on security, it really only has a few classes that are security focused. The new cybersecurity one looks way more focused on infosec.

If you're not going to switch right away I'd knock out the CCNA, CCNA:Security, Linux+ before transferring if you can.
  • Options
    Master YodaMaster Yoda Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    One is an IT degree with a focus on security, it really only has a few classes that are security focused. The new cybersecurity one looks way more focused on infosec.

If you're not going to switch right away I'd knock out the CCNA, CCNA:Security, Linux+ before transferring if you can.

^^^ This! You would want to compare both degree completion plans make sure you aren't setting yourself up to go in reverse for a while.