Options

Confused!

SDeeSDee Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
Reading a lot of threads where people failed yet studied from like 6 different resources!!
This is making me a bit scared to book for the examination which I plan to do in a month or so..
I feel like I have a very good knowledge because I have been studying for a while, I need to refresh and remember some of the technical terms before I think I am ready..

HOWEVER,
I studied Conrad's 11th Hour, CBT Nuggets & Cybrary!
In addition to loads of test exams.. (no not ****)

So is it possible that those won't be enough to pass the exam?
I found them all revolving around the same concepts and there are barely any differences..

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you study from any 300+ page book? The 11th hour is very thin on content and doesn't cover a lot, it is meant as a last week refresher.

This is one of those exams where experience also matters, so if you have good experience you never know. What is your day to day job and how long jave you been working in IT roles?
  • Options
    kye.daveykye.davey Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As the TheForce touched on, Your previous experience plays just as significant a part as your study materials, This is not to say you will not be successful with minimal experience. Although as I am sure will agree, a background in areas such as Networking and Computer Science will give candidates a competitive edge.

Being such a broad skill set it is hard to make a judgement based solely on someones study materials. I myself believe exams such as these rely more on a an individuals work ethic and self development for success, Seeking advice on platforms such as techexams displays these traits.

With this kind of enthusiasm I have no doubt that you have the ability to succeed in this exam, and wish you all the best.
  • Options
    SDeeSDee Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response guys!

Well my experience in this field is really fine.. I am a network administrator and was a team leader in projects like BCP, DR Site.. Work closely with Security Team on any network-related tasks and played a major role in my organization's PCI-DSS compliance.. A lot of what am reading are things I know with experience.. however there are still some terms and things to memorize..

From the eight domains I find myself good with all of them except for the last one; The Software Development Security
    Otherwise am really fine with all the covered topics..

But to be honest seeing all these threads with people who failed yet studied from more resources than I did got me a bit confused..

So my question is, if you studied all these materials and was fine with all of them and absolutely felt ready to take the exam.. what made you end up failing?

Thanks for the support icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    What causes one person to fail might not translate well to another person.

Frankly, with your background, you probably have a good baseline.

I think the two major hurdles that can cause people to fail when they have the knowledge are:

1- Thinking about this as a technical exam, and not as a management exam. It is important to remember that this is a management exam, with technical components. You need to approach it like a manager, not like a technician.

2- Not thinking about the exam materials in the (ISC)2 way. When there are different ways to approach things, you need to do so in the manner they suggest. (Thus, sometimes experience may hurt you if you think of the material in a different way.)

I think those are the two barriers that some people have to passing the exam when they know the materials well.