Regarding the MTA Server cert

EdgraEdgra Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question is the Microsoft Technology Associate Server certification worth it, my ultimate goal is getting the MCSA Server cert, also what are some good study resources?

Comments

• poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The MTA certificates are targeted at individuals who have absolutely no experience with computing or technology really. That isn't to undermine them at all as I am sure many people who take them find them to be very useful. If you have worked helpdesk for a couple of years or taken a college course that covered computer topics, you're probably good to skip the MTA.

The MTA is not a prerequisite for the MCSA thought the MCSA does say you should have at least the equivalent experience as an MTA. Additionally, I haven't seen any job postings in my many searches over the years that included MTAs as a requirement for a position.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • EdgraEdgra Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    The MTA certificates are targeted at individuals who have absolutely no experience with computing or technology really. That isn't to undermine them at all as I am sure many people who take them find them to be very useful. If you have worked helpdesk for a couple of years or taken a college course that covered computer topics, you're probably good to skip the MTA.

The MTA is not a prerequisite for the MCSA thought the MCSA does say you should have at least the equivalent experience as an MTA. Additionally, I haven't seen any job postings in my many searches over the years that included MTAs as a requirement for a position.

Thanks for your response, I have about 4 yrs in Helpdesk/desktop Support so I guess I should go for a little something more higher, I am looking to obtain a position a system administrator what is the best way to go with the certs?
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Go straight to mcsa. 4 years on helpdesk is 2 years too long