Options

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited September 2019 in Off-Topic

Comments

• Options
    ViolatedViolated Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SafariBooksOnline is what I would choose. They have so many books to choose from, and they also have videos as well. I get it through the DOD and use it all the time.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I would do SafariBooks followed by Pluralsight. One of my former companies got us SafariBooks sub and I used it almost every day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree Safaribooks - there's a lot of good video training on there as well, it's not just books. And they tend to have a good selection of books that should cover your IT needs. It's great to use as a reference shelf, and more than pays for itself with the access you have to all the material, which is kept up-to-date.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just a comment. I've found Lynda.com is more targeted towards the end user. There is a little bit of IT pro stuff there, but Pluralsight has a lot more technical courses. And if you're going ITIL, Lynda.com is not the place for it. Unless you get some nap time at work.

I like Pluralsight personally, but I haven't tried Safaribooks (I might after reading so many recommendations for it!).
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    If your company has any sense then they would have approached skillsoft for a corporate deal, this will have safaribooks included in the price ;)
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm partial to Udemy because of the variety of topics that are there. Everything seems surface level but it's digestible enough that once you've completed a quick course there, you are left with a strong enough knowledge base to move forward in your desired field of study.
    Price isn't bad either.

My .02
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pluralsight in my opinion then safari books!
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have enjoyed Lynda's content, but it doesn't go far enough. Udemy has a lot of courses to select and choose from (not only IT too!), so I buy courses through there one at a time when I see something I like. I compliment that with ITpro subscription and I'm all set. I haven't used Skillsoft and was never a fan of SafariBooksOnline, personally. Now Pluralsight, I really like too because they give you so much content. Slides, labs/exercises, thorough content... If it had the kind of delivery ITpro has and the practice exams that'd be my one-stop shop.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    raji96raji96 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would choose SafariBooksOnline
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just out of curiosity...is there something you don't like about ITpro.tv? Or is it just not an option on the table? I'm researching training websites too for personal use and can't figure out who's better between them and Pluralsight...

I'm mostly looking for good videos and lab content.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Safari..hands down
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I joined the IEEE Computer Society, mostly because they gave Safari Books access to their members. Turns out, they got rid of it and switched to SkillSoft the month I joined. Never got to try Safari first hand. I don't regret joining though. I am constantly blown away by how many resources the IEEE gave me access to.

I didn't do Safari on it's own, because I can go through a lot of good books from Amazon on eBay for $40 a month.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Safari hands down.