Options

Is it poor form to bring in some notes with brief talking points to an interview?

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hypothetical question...

Would it be considered a breach of protocol to bring some notes pertaining to things that one would want to bring up during an interview, such as projects, reasons for leaving old company, questions about the new company, etc, as a reference, to the in person interview? Like, if you are bringing a portfolio with copies of your resume, stashing it back in there and referring to it at some point to make sure you addressed everything that you intended?

Blargoe
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do this, myself. I'll usually research the company and jot down some points that I might try to bring up in conversation. I'll also write down some notes to help me keep my mind straight if I get nervous. However, I also take notes while I'm being interviewed on that same sheet. I'll just look down for time to time if I lose my train of thought, not reading from the notes.

I always bring extra copies of my resume to hand out if needed. Get everyone's names and contact info.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think it'd be looked at in a negative way at all. I'd say it's more likely someone would look at it in a positive light. Being prepared and taking notes etc. is a good skill to bring to any job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Shows that you are interested! Invest in a briefcase and bring that notebook out!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nope, proves you have been thinking about this and also helps you to be direct to get answers
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I was interviewing you and you brought out a notebook of questions, cues, etc. I would be impressed. Bonus points for pulling a tiny notebook out of a large rucksack!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely a good idea. I don't bring a abriefcase. I bring a nice portfolio/binder. One side has extra copies of my resume and the other has paper with questions/scenarios that I'd like to discuss. Good luck!
  • Options
    mjnk77 wrote: »
    Definitely a good idea. I don't bring a abriefcase. I bring a nice portfolio/binder. One side has extra copies of my resume and the other has paper with questions/scenarios that I'd like to discuss. Good luck!

A good portfolio is usually a lot easier to carry than the briefcase. Get one that will comfortably carry a pen, as well, so you can take notes.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1, similar to the others. I always bring a notebook to interview to take down notes from them, in the next page, I have written down my talking points and questions for them. It shows you're prepared and are genuinely interested.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If I was interviewing you and you brought out a notebook of questions, cues, etc. I would be impressed. Bonus points for pulling a tiny notebook out of a large rucksack!

^^^^^This! A notepad won't scatter everywhere when you drop it in the parking lot / hallway, and you won't have to turn to the next note as though you are reading your questions off cue cards, like you would have to do with well... your cue cards lol :)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bring the following:

At least 3 copies of your resume one for you, one for the person interviewing you, and one just in case someone else comes to the interview.

Bring copies of all your active certs.

Bring a copy of the job description.

I would bring a copy of your questions and questions they may ask you with answers written out, I would keep short though, maybe 2 pages...??

Having a note book and pen is perfectly fine too. This shows you're eager and to learn more about this new opportunity!

Another thing I do is I drive to the interview a day before, to get a feel for the drive. Yes, GPS is great, but it's not fail proof and it doesn't always account for traffic.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    I went to an interview once where my GPS took me to the other side of the highway! Bring a fully charged cell phone with the interviewer's phone number just in case. Giving them a heads up might be enough to make them overlook the fact you ended up a quarter of a mile away!

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not at all.

I bring printed dashboard and reports I build all the time. I hand out my handy work and they usually really enjoy it. I think it makes sense.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks all. I will be taking a leather portfolio/binder with 7 copies of my resume (they will be throwing all but the kitchen sink at me for 1/2 day) and a notepad. My background is all over the place, current situation is pretty complicated, and the proposed position looks to be fairly complex, so hopefully this will help me keep it all straight.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    As everyone else has said, not a bad thing at all!! Companies love when you've done research and can ask questions. I think it's looked at pretty negatively if they ask the question, what do you know/what can you tell us about our company, and do you have any questions, and you can't tell them anything or have nothing to ask. Do your research, and have questions to ask that are along the lines of what are their current and immediate needs, how can you best help them accomplish their goals, etc.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    shortiebsshortiebs Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nope. i do it. i think it makes you look prepared