Options

Required cert; you pay

packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone ever had a job where the company decided to require a cert after you were already working there, and they wanted you to pay for it? If so, how did you handle it?

Comments

• Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A large organization probably would not be able to do that. They usually have to follow the job description you signed up for. So unless they re categorize you or its a small company I don't think that's possible.

Pay up front and reimburse for the pass? Or pay and no reimbursement?

I would get the certification. Ask to study on their time at work, and ask for reimbursement for passing.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed no way would I do a cert and pay if I wasn't into it.

Like Queue said, on their dime and their time, sure......
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I have not, but if someone does that it's like they're saying that a warm body with a piece of paper is more valuable than someone already trained+working in the position. So they have little commitment to you as an employee because they want you to pay out of pocket instead of allocating part of the training budget. Also, I'd check with HR to see exactly where you stand as an employee. Is this the company officially telling you that, or is it just some supervisor talking out of their ass?
    What does "required" mean - what will happen if you don't get the cert they are asking you to pay for?
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, think about it if you paid for it, then you could basically go work somewhere else - whereas if they paid for it, they might require you to sign a contract to stay with them for so many months/years...
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Also, think about it if you paid for it, then you could basically go work somewhere else - whereas if they paid for it, they might require you to sign a contract to stay with them for so many months/years...

I've seen that with tuition reimbursement. (Example - training costs $800, if you stay for 3 months they will reimburse $200, 6 months they will reimburse $400, 1 year and they will pay for 100%.) Usually the discussion is what kind of training HR will reimburse you for.
    If they aren't reimbursing, it's probably some kind of contract work.
    I don't think a company can force you to work there in the US.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't seem so weird to me, as long as it's not something that reoccurs. May well be driven by something not easily controlled.

For example, to be an engineer in some states, you have to be licensed. If you have the title but the company just realized (don't ask why, who knows -- maybe their corporate HQ is in another state where a license isn't required or something) you need to be licensed by the state to have that title, I don't think it's preposterous for the company to say it's on you if you want to keep that position/title/salary.

Or if you're a contractor and your firm started doing business with the military, so now they have to enforce 8570 certs. Situation changed, so you can adapt or move on.

All that said, I do think most companies would/should offer to pay for the cert/exam fees (but not necessarily training) in those situations. I just don't think it's the biggest deal if they don't.

Frankly, I've never had my employer pay for my certs (even though the option was available) since that can lead to obligations or circumstances that I might not be comfortable with... like, if I fail the exam, will it be counted against me on a performance eval? No thanks, I'll just let you know when I've got the cert.

Just my 2 cents.
    Joe
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    shochan wrote: »

You would to cut them a check once you quit.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've personally have not experienced this...do you mind telling us what cert it is?

If the cert is worth it (improves your skills, aligns with you professional goals/growth, increases your marketability, etc.) I would pay for it. This also helps so that when a better opportunity opens up you have no strings attached when you leave.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually tell people that I pay for every meaningful cert we agree to that YOU pass. While the employee pays for any certts they fail. Easy enough right? Now, recruiters don't call me with jobs they call me with candidates. Its a very soft market this year and will likely stay that way for sometime. You may have to feel obligated to pay your own way this year.

- b/eads
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've personally have not experienced this...do you mind telling us what cert it is?
    No cert in particular. Just a hypothetical question.