Options

IT Security Job In Colorado

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
Found this GIG

Salary 10/ Hour if anyone is interested icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Responsible for identifying risks and threats to availability, integrity and
confidentiality of customer, employee, and business information. Provide
technical analysis and insight in Threat and Vulnerability Management,
working across multiple disciplines such as networks, servers, desktops,
applications and databases. Ensure security across critical systems and
sensitive data protecting these from intrusion, misuse and abuse.

1. Conduct Vulnerability Assessments across network, end points and web
applications.

2. Provides support to the Incident Response Team

3. Remain up-to-date with latest computer crimes, security vulnerabilities
and laws pertaining to information security

4. Collaborates on the implementation of new technology to ensure adherence to
information security standards and best practices

5. Review and evaluate systems to determine where security improvements are
required

6. Scans systems for known vulnerabilities and exposures using commercial and
open source vulnerability scanning tools

7. Monitoring and administration of network and host based IDS/IPS systems
and malware detection/prevention systems.

8. Monitoring and administration of syslog servers and SIEM technology

9. Firewall audits including rule usage and configurations to ensure proper
and secure firewalls

10. Manage security projects, as necessary

11. Create and maintain security documentation and standard operating
procedures

12. Troubleshooting and triage possible security breaches

EDUCATION:

4 year degree in a computer related field or information security

EXPERIENCE:

1. 3+ years in a technology support role with IT security responsibilities
or equivalent experience

2. Excellent analytical, critical thinking and investigative skills

3. Knowledge of networking architectures and protocols including the OSI layer

4. Self-starter and active learner

COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:

1. 5+ years in the Information Security field

2. Familiarity in infrastructure and application security assessments using
open source and commercial products using industry accepted methodologies.

3. Experience with Linux

4. Comfortable with log management, vulnerability scanning, penetration
testing, network and application risk assessments.

EEO Statement

Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order
11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are
employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard
to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex,
marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal,
sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status
protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals
with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or
compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting
Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.

Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    uhhmmmm...yeah. $10/hour? where do i sign up? hope they don't expect too much from me
  • Options
    The same thing i was thinking. At first i thought it was a typo but nope this is there requirements I dont know of anyone who would do all that for 10 dollars a hour.

• Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Maybe they got high and forgot to add a zero?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Dang! That is almost at the federal poverty line for a family of 3. Are you sure $10/hr is right? Unless you are 100% disconnected from reality this could be a typo.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Chances they fill that job or at least with somebody qualified...0%.
  • Options
    Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    I will lose all faith in humanity if they get legitimate applicants.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's a typo, what kind of typo this could be? If they missed a zero on the end, which one would think is the most likely scenario of a typo, and intended to publish $100/hour this seems too high for this JD. Not likely.

Another, much less likely option, is they confused let's say 5 and 1 and instead of $50 typed in $10. $50 would be reasonable considering the location and the JD, but how on Earth you can confuse 5 with 1? Not likely.

If we accept it at face value, $10/hour is ridiculously low. But I just searched online and found that in Colorado minimum wage $9.30/hour. If it was higher than 10 I'd assume that it's almost certainly a typo. But since it's below... I dunno. If they hired you, you'd still make more than folks at McD or Walmart, plus you'd have a huge opportunity to learn things and jump off in a year or so for a more lucrative gig. But why then work experience requirement that supposedly cuts off all graduates with no experience?

MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL! But if I had to choose I'd still go with taking it at face value.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Considering that minimum wage in Colorado is $9.30 - that's quite pathetic on many levels. I would hope it's a typo. I looked at the Nelnet web site out of curiosity - I didn't see where the wages were posted. @OP - how did you find the rate info?
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Considering that minimum wage in Colorado is $9.30 - that's quite pathetic on many levels. I would hope it's a typo. I looked at the Nelnet web site out of curiosity - I didn't see where the wages were posted. @OP - how did you find the rate info?

Original post
    https://www.connectingcolorado.com/cgi-bin/e_job_central_view?s=GETNEW+joid=CO6898900

and i actually rounded up to get 10/hour

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Still doesn't add up. This is bugging me so I've been doing some OSINT. The position was filled by a young lady who started last week and has a few years experience in the security arena. I just can't see this paying that low. I am about to call this girl and ask her but she may think i'm some sort of stalker icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Clm wrote: »
    It says $19,344 which is the annual minimum wage in Colorado. I bet it's a default value if someone posted a job on that site and didn't put in a salary. Looks like just a sloppy job posting.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It makes a bit of sense to me. It's posted on a Workforce Center website. I don't know how it works in all states, but in my state that same type of website is for people who are mandated to be/search there as a requirement of keeping their benefits. That would make sense then how low the salary is. I'm not saying it's right, but that's just how the system may work there too.

Even the login page looks similar to my state's and notice the SSN used as login ID.
    https://www.connectingcolorado.com/

Yes, it's probably that, and that is why the salary is so low.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome job with an awesome salary NOT!!! Maybe they were actually posting this in the early 70's hoping to find someone then transport them to the future and convince them $10 an hour they could be rich. I could see a dude in a lab coat working on a Mainframe from the 70's high and willing to take it
  • Options
    Maybe they have a really really really good benefits package..............................
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Maybe they have a really really really good benefits package..............................

The good kush is covered 100% under their insurance plan.
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    /facepalm

absolutely ridiculous icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure it was a typo. After digging some, the job was posted on other sites like Dice, but is no longer available. Since the company name is listed, you can search salaries for avarege salaries for different positions within the company. They pay more than $10/hr.
  • Options
    revbox wrote: »
    The good kush is covered 100% under their insurance plan.

Might come with a morning and afternoon massage too!
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I posted about something similar last year. IT Security is slowly becoming the new Desktop support.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I posted about something similar last year. IT Security is slowly becoming the new Desktop support.

That's promising in a way. Rather than it being so obscure and hard to reach for people just coming into the IT field, now there are going to be entry-level positions inside of it. That shouts of it becoming a more standard part of IT instead of something people have as an afterthought. I know there will probably be some who disagree with this, and I understand the logic in the opposition, but we really need to start making some kind of change when it comes to all of this.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's promising in a way. Rather than it being so obscure and hard to reach for people just coming into the IT field, now there are going to be entry-level positions inside of it. That shouts of it becoming a more standard part of IT instead of something people have as an afterthought. I know there will probably be some who disagree with this, and I understand the logic in the opposition, but we really need to start making some kind of change when it comes to all of this.

But this is not necessarily a good thing as the OP is stating. The wages will be driven down to that of Desktop Support / Help Desk.

I posted about this last year and the wage that was offered was $14/hr for a Sec Analyst. I think the Sec Analyst role will just be nothing more than a Desktop support Analyst and the role of Desktop Support Analyst will be replaced because of BYOD, Self-Service and Virtualization.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    But this is not necessarily a good thing as the OP is stating. The wages will be driven down to that of Desktop Support / Help Desk.

I posted about this last year and the wage that was offered was $14/hr for a Sec Analyst. I think the Sec Analyst role will just be nothing more than a Desktop support Analyst and the role of Desktop Support Analyst will be replaced because of BYOD, Self-Service and Virtualization.

Like I said, I do see all the negatives. Lower wages, lower knowledge base, an overall lowering of the quality of people in Sec (at least initially), etc., but I also don't think we can keep going the way we're going with security being nothing more than an afterthought or an inconvenience in most circumstances. What I'm hoping is that bringing it more mainstream will increase attention and awareness. Of course there's also the possibility that everything will just become worse. It's the gamble that's always present with any change.

Edit:
    And things probably will be worse at first. As they usually are during any transformation.