Options

How to breaks / snacks /drinks work for the Cissp?

CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
How to breaks / snacks /drinks work for the Cissp?

When I've taken exams previously they didn't allow me to bring anything in and had me empty my pockets as well.

Comments

• Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You signal to the proctor that you need to take a break. They then check you out and check you back in when you are done with your break. The place I went to had lockers to keep your personal items. They had a designated break area and bathroom for test takers.

I was in there for about two hours to include the registration time so I didn't need to take a break.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep. We had lockers to put your stuff in. You were only permitted to take your ID and locker key into the testing area with you. When you sign in they do a palm scan. When you want a break you raise your hand. The come in and get you, check your ID and palm scan you out. You can do whatever you want at that point but it was an honor system as far as not looking at any notes, etc. I guess theoretically I could have went to my truck and check notes? When you come back in they check your ID and palm scan you back in. I took 2 breaks about 5 minutes each. I never did open my locker until I was done but ran to the restroom and they had a water cooler in the office so I got a couple drinks too. You can take as many breaks as you want for as long as you want but your timer doesn't stop so those breaks count against your 6 hours
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Similar here. I don't think I could leave the building, but I could access my locker (that's where my snacks were), hang out in the lobby (that's where I ate my snacks), and use the bathroom. I only took a few short breaks, but just the walking around helped clear my head. I think I brought some fruit snacks and chocolate for snacks, nothing heavy.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know I read this somewhere but can't remember exactly, when you take a break, does your exam timer pause or it keeps going?

Edit: Nevermind, it was answered in this same thread lol. Answered by dhay13, timer keeps going. I'm guessing this is still the case?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have a good meal before your start the exam so you will not feel hungry. Bring some drinks and handy snacks (energy bar?) and leave it in the locker. Eye drops was all I need, you may have to request Pearson Vue to bring them into the exam room while booking the exam. Else leave it with the proctor or in your locker.

You may or may not spend 6 hours. Treat the CISSP as a marathon run. My exam took less than 4 hours and I did not take any breaks.
  • Options
    cisco4lifecisco4life Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I took my CISSP exam, it was in a large hotel conference room and you just kept your drinks/snacks in the back of the room. Anytime you wanted during the test, you could go back and eat/drink (quietly of course!)
  • Options
    dragonfly_222dragonfly_222 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took my test yesterday and passed. There are no "official" breaks, you can take one (or more), but the timer keeps on running. The proctor checks you in and out via palm scans. I had to resubmit to the self pat down and glasses check upon entering again.. luckily I'd thought to just wear something comfortable.. yoga pants and a comfy top.. no need to go through the empty pocket deal. The PV center I took mine had lockers for each test taker. If we knew we wanted a snack, we had to put them at the front of the locker and bags, sweaters, what-ever at the back. I had to ask permission to open my locker and they watched what I took out. I had brought along some water and protein. We were not allowed to leave the building, but the bathrooms were not in the same suite, but down the hall. I only took 1 break after I'd done 1/2 the questions for about 12 min or so. The test took me 5 hours.. about 4.5ish to finish all the questions and 20 to go back over anything flagged. The other new thing (to me anyway - I'd taken the CEH last fall), was that they made me take off all my jewelry.. including my stud earrings. Odd, but Ok. I asked why after and was told that one of the other center had found some kind of cheating via the jewelry. People never cease to amaze me. :)