Options

Day Or Night?

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which one would you prefer to work: Day or Night?

Comments

• Options
    I just wondering. About 9 years ago, I worked at a walmart during the night shift. I love the night shift at walmart. Not much people shopping there. I just wondering if it the same in the IT industry? Plus I like working out after work.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer second shift. There's plenty of time to get appointments done before work (doctor, dentist, car, bank, ect), there's typically minimal traffic going to and from work, and on weekends when going out, I don't get tired halfway through the evening, because I'm normally at work anyways. It's perfect all around. First shift is okay, but there are definitely the downsides listed above that have to be worked around. Graveyard shift just sucks though.... I hate that one.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Whichever one pays more icon_lol.gif Ideally, I would prefer second shift though. It just seems more convenient for life scheduling to me.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Day. Night is my best study time :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts. I preferred 2nd since you can get stuff done before work, and you won't be dealing with the rush hour traffic. If you have a family, then 1st shift would be best for you. I worked 3rd shift for 3 years. 3rd shift is difficult to get use to, unless you change your lifestyle. If you sleep days on the nights you work, but sleep nights on the days you're off, your body will never get use to it. Best thing to do is change your lifestyle by sleeping during the day on the days that you are off, and staying up all night on the nights you're off. Breakfast at night, dinner in the morning. It can be disruptive for your social life. If you're young, you can get away without changing your sleep patterns, but as you get older, you need to make changes. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    mjnk77 wrote: »
    I've worked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts. I preferred 2nd since you can get stuff done before work, and you won't be dealing with the rush hour traffic. If you have a family, then 1st shift would be best for you. I worked 3rd shift for 3 years. 3rd shift is difficult to get use to, unless you change your lifestyle. If you sleep days on the nights you work, but sleep nights on the days you're off, your body will never get use to it. Best thing to do is change your lifestyle by sleeping during the day on the days that you are off, and staying up all night on the nights you're off. Breakfast at night, dinner in the morning. It can be disruptive for your social life. If you're young, you can get away without changing your sleep patterns, but as you get older, you need to make changes. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info. I really prefer 3rd shift. It gives me time to work out after work. Studying might be little difficult because be so damn tire.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Day, unless there is a sizable pay increase with working on the night shift. (e.g. night differential)
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do second shift now, and it works out to be ideal, I work Sunday - Wednesday from Noon - 10 PM, get every thurs-saturday off and don't have to get up early and can still stay up and study after works.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked rotating shifts for 10 years in the mill. I liked 4-12 because I could get stuff done during the day but for family life daylight was best. Night shift wasn't bad because I had the best of both worlds. If I had a doctor appt I would sleep later. I wouldn't have a problem taking a night shift job but I won't take a steady 4-12 job. My main concern is having weekends and holidays off. I understand this is IT and unexpected things come up and I am fine with that but not for a regular schedule. I did that for 10 years and missed too many birthdays and holidays
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Day. Night is my best study time :)

How many hours are you studying?
  • Options
    @dontstop - 4-5 hours a night right now
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @dontstop - 4-5 hours a night right now

You are one of my heroes Iris :)
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    Heh. Thanks. I don't feel like I'm anyone's hero when I'm tshooting VPN in my lab late at night. This tends to be what I resemble: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1437769/stick-figure-typing-o.gif
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked and still work rotating shifts. Each has its pro's/con's.

First 7-5.30pm - Days go by faster cause more work to do. Best if you have family of course. Not much downtime.
    Second 1:30pm to 12am - Busy coming in catching second half of the day and super quite after people leave at 5pm. Sucks to not be able see family but you can study some.
    Third 12:00am to 10:30am - Sleep cycle opposite of family but switched sleeping over on last work day to days. Downside is spouse having empty bed for least four nights but least you get to have dinner with em.

Where I work now has way more coverage and overlap so what ever shift you can you can ask to come in hour earlier or later and its not big a deal. With a shift pay differential too! Some people actually volunteer for other shifts because of it. Weekends are same pay but a few have other jobs and ask to work them. (More weekends off for me icon_cool.gif)
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am on first shift now 9 ish to 5. Obviously every couple months there is a downtime and some after hours/before hours work. I am able to exercise during my lunch hour. I can exercise again after work during the sunlight. I enjoy having my evenings for dinner or studying.

I worked second shift for a year and a half. It was hard for me. I ended up just sleeping almost up until 2-3 PM. Then just stayed up all night. Didn't seem very healthy.

Working third was the worse for me. My body is just not meant to be awake at 3-5 AM. I would be miserable at those hours.

There is a reason most places pay more for non first shift work. It is less desirable for most. If it works for you, you will probably find a job easier and make a little bit more money.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    10-6. Don't have to wake up early, and there's still summer sun for those 2 months in NYC.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I worked all 3 shifts in a NOC and 2nd shift (15:00 - 23:30) was my favorite. There was a 10% shift differential, it was quiet, and I was able to take care of appointments (doctor, dentist, auto maintenance) before going to the office. I worked near the beach too so it was nice to have a late lunch on the pier before going to work. Those were the days. Couldn't pull off that shift now because it would impact time with the wife and kids.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heh. Thanks. I don't feel like I'm anyone's hero when I'm tshooting VPN in my lab late at night. This tends to be what I resemble: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1437769/stick-figure-typing-o.gif

best gif ever
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    NIGHT for study and experience. DAY once u have obtained certs and experience.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's about the same in the IT industry, unless you're dealing with clients on the other side of the planet where it might be day shift.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP