Options

Job offer question about path

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have recently been offered a job at a local MSP. They're a heavy Windows shop and I've got a fairly strong background in Linux with only a cursory knowledge of Windows Server (I've used and supported Windows Desktop before and dealt with Windows Server in anger). My 5 year goal is to move towards a career in networking but I'm suffering because of my lack of direct hands on network experience. During the interview process I made it very clear that I didn't have much experience with deploying current Windows tech and they're okay with that. I've spent the last few years in *nix System Administration and somehow managed to avoid being directly exposed to Network Administration due to working in very large companies. This has really penalised me when trying to get Network Admin roles in the area.

My problem is I don't have enough experience directly in networking to land a Network Admin role, but I'm worried if this role might take too much of my attention away from networking (I've just obtained my CCNA and would like my CCNP) and would force me to need to study up on Microsoft. The clients are small shops and their networks are far from complex.

Should I take the role, do the best I can to learn the Microsoft tech while at the same time focus my studies on my CCNP?

Should I drop my CCNP goals and study up for Microsoft? I don't like this option as my heart isn't in System Administration.

I'm not sure what to do icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You already know the answer to this.

You are a *nix guy; NOT a Windows guy.
    Deep down... Windows SUCKS, and you know it :]

If you really want to do Networking... then you should try landing at an entry gig somewhere (ie: NOC).
    How big is this MSP? DO they have a NOC team?

I suspect they aren't really large; decent-sized MSP are not "heavy" windows shops.
    Rather, they run a mix of EVERYTHING (to be able to support their many customers).

I would probably pass.
    how can you really expect to learn & get certified.. if you don't have the passion for it?

Besides, Amazon is consolidating all those sysadmin jobs.

If you want to get into networking... then Stop applying for Server Admin roles :]
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    you're not a junior admin, you have already have system administration experience(*nix), adding Windows administration to the equation will not help you get into Networking. It will waste your time and you need to upskill to do your job with Windows...

Finish those Cisco certs and apply for every Network job under the sun!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    you're not a junior admin, you have already have system administration experience(*nix), adding Windows administration to the equation will not help you get into Networking. It will waste your time and you need to upskill to do your job with Windows...

Finish those Cisco certs and apply for every Network job under the sun!

I currently live in an area where my options are very limited and I'm not in a position to move into the city. Moving to the city will take $20-25k right off the top of my wage (nearly half). Currently I need a job to pay for my certification and living arrangements. Most of the Junior networking roles require nearly a CCNP level of knowledge and 3-5 years of experience (crazy for a CCNA level role). Practically they're looking for a CCNA who's nearly ready to take the CCNP and not looking to train up someone so I'm chicken-egg kinda stuck right now.

I'm hoping the MSP will give me more hands on with networking experience with gear of various vendors (HPE, Dell, Meraki) and also a bit better appreciation of small/mid sized organisations WAN setups. Unfortunately I've been siloed as I've worked mostly in Enterprises of 1,500-60,000 employees.

Over the course of the next 12 months I'll be working on my CCNP
  • Options
    With your current experience, I think you can manage to get a good paying job in a city, but you know your situation better!

(I'm judging by the kind of guys I see working in the cities...a lot of them are not that experienced and I know you have a lot more experience than them)

good luck

• Options
    :) Thanks for the upvote of confidence.

I'm in a weird situation as I jumped from helpdesk right to Sysadmin within around 12 months. I proceeded to spend the next 3 years as a "Junior/Senior Linux Admin" in a very weird arrangement. The places I worked were terrible, stricken with change control and those who hated change. Most of the work was very reactive or ticket based work. I've totally skipped the whole desktop support thing so I've got a big hole in my knowledge in that regard also with regards to networking. I'm missing a lot of hands on because due to the size of companies I've worked for and delegation of tasks to area "experts".

I think I've also gotta learn to just "suck it up" when it comes to learning Microsoft stuff. I cannot avoid it forever :S
  • Options
    dontstop wrote: »
    I'm in a weird situation as I jumped from helpdesk right to Sysadmin within around 12 months. I proceeded to spend the next 3 years as a "Junior/Senior Linux Admin" in a very weird arrangement. The places I worked were terrible, stricken with change control and those who hated change. Most of the work was very reactive or ticket based work. I've totally skipped the whole desktop support thing so I've got a big hole in my knowledge in that regard also with regards to networking. I'm missing a lot of hands on because due to the size of companies I've worked for and delegation of tasks to area "experts".

I tend to believe that in a parallel universe out there..
    there's another version of you who didnt skip the whole "desktop" thing.
    And that guy is still complaining that he wants to do get into networking too.
    :]

Sometimes you have to be the change that you seek.

I dont know what city/state you live in... but there are Lots of NOC jobs out there.
    If your area is Bad... then maybe you should Move.
    Throw your stuff in storage. And Just make i happen.

Learn what You want to learn; not what others want...
  • Options
    @dontstop:

I'm being honest, with your linux skills you can easily get a job in cloud operations or support, or even a linux admin job. I'd apply to any job I find on seek!

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @dontstop:

I'm being honest, with your linux skills you can easily get a job in cloud operations or support, or even a linux admin job. I'd apply to any job I find on seek!

But I have such a strong passion for networking. I'm looking at moving away from SA as I've done as much as I can in that field. I've just never had an opportunity in any of my roles to explore networking fully. I was always scared I couldn't be great at networking so I avoided doing it and moved in SA originally. I just find now that I have such a strong background in SA it's making the move to networking so difficult!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are wanting to make the move to networking don't waste any more time doing so. Going after another SA role will further distance yourself from the networking world. I think some of your SA experience could compliment the networking job however you need to draw a line in the sand and ask yourself what you 100% want to do. If you want to take on networking, make your next job a network job. Could it come with a bit of a pay cut / move to a better area to find those jobs? Possibly, but you have to start somewhere.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO you already have the skills, the passion, and the core competencies to land a networking job. Are you able/available to work a graveyard shift? That may open up a lot of opportunities.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Then don't take the offer. Since it sounds like you are already looking, and may feel like your job search isn't going well, try waiting a little longer. You don't always need to take the 1st offer they throw at you. One thing to remember is to always have that "core" skills set going - in your case networking. Learning Windows can certainly be good for your career opportunities. However if they want to dive into Windows - so the range of things that you may get into might be a bit of a learning curve for you. Dealing with the registry, group policies, permissions, or WFAS alone can be a PITA. I started my career in Windows - now being on the "greener" side of it and dealing with Linux all day every day - I'd rather stay where I am.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone:

1) you already have the skills to get an entry level networking job or a support networking job ==> need to apply to as many jobs as you can and be willing to relocate.

2) Taking a Windows job is a bad decision.

• Options
  • Options
    @dontstop:

Mate, one word: RUN.

This is a PERFECT time to apply to jobs, and I KNOW you got the skills. This is the end of financial year and I've never seen more jobs advertised at the same time. I get called by recruiters every couple of days. Staying at this job is a bad idea. Consider relocation if you can....

• Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    You work in a growing field that has plenty of job opportunities. Don't stay in one place if it's going to ruin your life. You can get a better job, don't settle for trash.

As far as holes in your knowledge base, write down your weaknesses, and write down the best way to solve them. If you lack experience with hardware, build your own home lab.
  • Options
    If you lack experience with hardware, build your own home lab.

That's a top idea. I've got a CCNA/CCNP home lab, but I've never considered building a Server/Workstation homelab.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    get out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Time to move on, before your health takes a toll. Too many jibs available to stress about 1 litttle company.
  • Options
    Dammmmmmmmmn
    that's some craziness.

Whelp, if i may offer some more (questionable) Advice:
    figure out how many weeks you need to work in order to qualify for Unemployment.

Once you hit that threshold, STOP doing everything that you're doing.
    Stop lying to the customers (tell the truth).
    Stop waking up at 4-5am to catch up on yesterday's work.
    Stop hitting your 80% billable.

DO take your Lunch.
    DO keep applying for something else.

End result:
    your azzjack Boss will fire you;
    But at least you get some unemployment while you looks for a better gig.
  • Options
    Thanks all, currently hitting the job boards and looking at moving on. Also looking more into home lab setups on the Server side of things.
  • Options
    NerkleNerkle Member Posts: 20 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great to hear you are moving on! Hearing the overtime no pay and never getting out on time is the big red flag to hear. I wish you best of luck that you can get to a more networking related job that you want soon :) I agree with the others that you seem more than skilled to do so. Goodluck with your home lab, dontstop!