Options

Acceptable to ask salary range?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    Sometimes taking a bigger pay increase doesn't always mean much if the benefits are expensive. I didn't take a huge pay increase with my current job, but I'm also only paying around $100 a month for ALL of my wife and I's benefits plus a nice 401k match which is 100% vested immediately, compared to my last job where health insurance alone was $600 a month and everything else sucked too...it's about the total compensation package, not just salary. Skip the range and stick with a specific number...

Wow, I thought I was getting good benefits. I'm paying around $250 for me and my wife, for very good medical insurance, Vision, Dental, term life for me and my wife and supplemental short term disability. I could pick a cheaper medial plan and cut my rate in half, but just don't get sick, it don't cover much. I know a co-worker who picked the cheapest medial insurance plan, her husband got sick and she was on the hook for 10 grand in uncovered medial bills.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Wow, I thought I was getting good benefits. I'm paying around $250 for me and my wife, for very good medical insurance, Vision, Dental, term life for me and my wife and supplemental short term disability. I could pick a cheaper medial plan and cut my rate in half, but just don't get sick, it don't cover much. I know a co-worker who picked the cheapest medial insurance plan, her husband got sick and she was on the hook for 10 grand in uncovered medial bills.

$250 is still great considering you have really good coverage! Benefits are incredibly important and I think a lot of younger people tend to overlook that. A good salary is important, but if you have bad medical benefits and a major health issue arises you're screwed! Especially with all of these crazy high deductibles.
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    After burning enough vacation days for 'final interviews' to find out they want to low ball someone, it starts to get easy to say within the first 3 sentences "Hi, nice to meet you, the least I will work for is $xxx,xxx.xx.

Yeah, had that happen too.....never again.