Options

Microsoft Pushing you towards 10?

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have started noticing on the last couple of computers we bought, that our users are receiving the Windows Update message

"Your PC uses a processor that is designed for the latest windows. Because the processor is not supported together with the windows version that you are currently using, your system will miss important security updates. Please select Learn More link to address this situation".

The operating system is Windows 7 and the processor is Intel Core (TM) i5-7400 CPU 3GHz.

Is there a workaround for this apart from upgrading to Windows 10?

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Microsoft supports Windows 7 until January of 2020.

That being said, you can subscribe to Microsoft Security Bulletins and get notified when Windows Updates release that support Windows 7. That would take care of any updates that aren't automatically installed by the Microsoft Update program. It's a manual process, but definitely a work-around.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I will look into it.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like how the Network World author in that linked article hadn't validated the script at all - yet wrote an entire article about it and suggests it as an option for people to use.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft has already pushed me towards Linux and hope these kinds of tactics push them towards market share irrelevancy.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    There are a couple of options that I know of to block the so called automatic 'upgrade' to Windows 10.

GWX Control Panel

Never10

I use both: Never10 is a 'run once' option, while GWX Control Panel runs as a background process. You could argue that there's no need to have both as Never10 should be good enough, but each to their own.
    No longer an active member