Options

Moving from DoD Intelligence to IT

dspohnholtzdspohnholtz Registered Users Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I have recently decided to act on my interest in IT and work on some certifications (wish I did this in high school or when I was in the Navy, but doesn't everyone else?). My ultimate goal is to transition into the IT space, specifically eyeing systems administration or security roles. Right now, I am working as a DoD contractor in Florida and I am interested in moving into the IT space for the following reasons: interest in computers, diversifying skill set and earnings potential (I know money should never be THE motivating factor, but it definitely helps with having a family and everything). That said, I am working on my COMPTIA Security+ right now and I wanted to know where I should go from there. Currently I am eyeing either the CCNA certification or MCSA: Server 2012 certification. My initial plan is to prepare for a junior sysadmin role within the local DoD community, with plans to move out of it in the next five years or so. Seeing as everyone here has been immensely helpful thus far, does anyone have any advice about a certification path or things to look out for moving forward? Thank you all for your help and consideration!

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Are you SINGLE?
    Do you have a CLEARANCE?

If Yes and Yes my advice:

Get a Security +CE ASAP then get a Server + CE. Then apply for an oversea job in Kuwait/Afghanistan/Iraq. Work it for a year. For most SAs, we have an MCSA 2012 certification.

5 years from now? Looks like the public market and SOME government agency have move to cloud platforms like AZURE OR AWS. I'm not sure if we will see DOD or DOS ever go that route. I think they prefer to manage an internal cloud.