Options

Contract to hire and how to know you won't be hired on?

CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
Short end of the story is I left me full time job for a contract in a bigger company. Feels like I might not be hired at the end of this and mostly because of a few things
Interview went great and they offered me the job, started working within a few weeks and I've been in "Training" for the last two months, looks like the other senior guys aren't really excited about training new people. They've given me some work, but not really what I'm used to since there is no documentation or real knowledge/answers from anyone. Sounds like I'm getting the run around at this point. As far as certs/experience I have plenty of certs ranging from networking to security and I have a background in both roles...
They are talking about filling out paperwork and coming on, but at this point I just don't know. I'm thinking of just asking my boss and seeing what he says but don't want to waste his time since he actually is busy when it comes to this job..

Comments

• Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short end of the story is I left me full time job for a contract in a bigger company. Feels like I might not be hired at the end of this and mostly because of a few things
    Interview went great and they offered me the job, started working within a few weeks and I've been in "Training" for the last two months, looks like the other senior guys aren't really excited about training new people. They've given me some work, but not really what I'm used to since there is no documentation or real knowledge/answers from anyone. Sounds like I'm getting the run around at this point. As far as certs/experience I have plenty of certs ranging from networking to security and I have a background in both roles...
    They are talking about filling out paperwork and coming on, but at this point I just don't know. I'm thinking of just asking my boss and seeing what he says but don't want to waste his time since he actually is busy when it comes to this job..

I would talk to him about creating documentation. Make your own work.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best thing you can do at this point is do what you can to make your work do the talking for you. Don't go outside their procedures, as you are a contractor, but definitely show your worth in the work you perform. Don't even talk about documentation... if it's lacking, just do it (if you have the extra time). If they don't seem like they want to give you the time of day, I would spend my extra time looking for something else where my skills would be VALUED. -My two cents
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are the senior techs helping you out when you get over your head? Your work should be in scope if they provided 2 months worth of training. What kind of systems or work are you supporting? Is it proprietary?If so they should have a knowledge base. If not most information can be pull from vendor kb.