Options

Anyone with experience hiring IT Desktop Support can critique my resume?

valenlane85valenlane85 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I left out personal information, license #'s, and company I've worked for and company I currently working for.

I'm eagerly looking to get into doing Server/Networking work/troubleshooting; my current employment isn't allowing me to grow any further then what I am doing and feel like I am very under utilized, there was talk of me taking on network switches but that dried up and think that was just to "keep me there" talk.

Can anyone critique my resume and let me know what may be wrong with my resume?

I've been applying around my area and even out in pleasanton, livermore, dublin, san jose, areas here in CA. Been getting no interviews, I've been getting calls from staffing agencies but that's it after that.

Any help is appreciated.

Summary

3+ years of Desktop Support dealing with Windows/MAC based operating systems looking to get into Windows Server Administration.

Certifications

• In-Progress CCNP Switch
  • In-Progress MCSA Server 2012 R2 70-410
  • Cisco Certified Network Associate ( CCNA ) , 03/18/2017
  • Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician ( CCENT ) 12/03/2016
  • MTA: Windows Server Administration , 08/17/16

Highlights

• Troubleshooting proficiency with hardware/software
  • Windows 7/MAC OS X experience
  • Understanding of TCP/IP concepts
  • Exceptional documentation

• Excelled phone etiquette
  • Experience working with mobile devices
  • Self-start and minimal supervisory needed

Experience

October 2014 - Present
Desktop Support Technician
  • Responsible for providing tier 2 support for the company's 50 workstations along with peripherals and software installed on each system
  • Documentation of issues using ManageEngine Ticketing System
  • Responsible to monitor the network using SolarWind's Network Monitor
  • Prioritized tickets and day-to-day work to ensure efficiency in day to day operations
  • Set up new employee workstations with required equipment and installed software and provided how-to instructions on specific hardware and software
  • Created how-to documents for employee's to use when needing to contact business software support
  • Organized company I.T. equipment into WASP Inventory Control software and created barcode system to use
  • Manage company’s online web portal for Verizon
  • Work with contractors to verify work to be done and validate work completed and to be point of contact
  • Created and manage 2 of the 3 company websites using Serif 7/8, point of contact to work with webhosting company on our 3rd website
  • Saved the company $3,600 in licensing fee's a year by finding a cost efficient application the fits the companys needs in badging in guests.

January 2014 - April 2014
Support Engineer/Dispatch
  • First point of contact for the company's support system through email or phone call.
  • Documented steps taken to resolve issues using ConnectWise
  • Provided phone support and remote support using LogMeIn Rescue
  • Promoted company reputation with prompt and courteous service while at customer sites
  • Responsible for resolving common issues with High-Rely backup units, creating users in Active Directory, new workstation installs, network printers, Microsoft Outlook, system updates, new software installs.
  • Provided dispatch for 2 other tech's and escalation of tickets.

November 2010 - March 2011
CPU Support Technician
  • Provided tier 1 support for iMac and Macbook models over the phone
  • Provided self-help articles to how-to questions along with guidance
  • Escalated to tier2 if unable to resolve issue
  • Resolved desktop issues related to mail, permissions, performance issues, and network issues

Education

Dakota State University (Undergraduate)
  • Bachelor of Science in Information Systems

San Joaquin Delta College (2010 - 2013)
  • General Education classes
  • Cisco Networking Academy program

Heald College (Graduated 2009)
  • Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    3+ years of Desktop Support dealing with software/hardware issues in Windows/MAC OS X based systems.
    Maybe consider putting an objective - I.e. what kind of job are you trying to get. Perhaps those reading the resume belief you are looking for another desktop support job.
    · Provided tier 2 support for the company's workstations along with peripherals and software installed on each system
    · Support given via DameWare Remote Support, over the phone or in-person <- recommend removal or modify
    · Engaged employee issues with the upmost care in quality service and attention to detail. <- recommend removal
    · Maintain company cell phone account by managing online web portal <- modify
    · Saved the company $3,600 in licensing fee's a year <- elaborate
    I would remove the Dameware mention - not sure it's relevant on how you did your job. It's more important to list accomplishments. For example - you saved the company money - can you say how? Also - can you show how many people you supported. Also - saying that you used a portal to manage cell phone use is lackluster. If you are accountable for mobile phone support - just say that. Something like - "Accountable for managing all mobile cell usage".

Couple other suggestions:

· Exceptional phone etiquette dealing with customers when addressing issues <- Remove
    · Provided phone support and remote support using LogMeIn Rescue <- Simplify
    · Promoted company reputation with prompt and courteous service while at customer sites <- try this instead
    · Responsible for resolving common issues with High-Rely backup units, creating users in Active Directory, new workstation installs, network printers, Microsoft Outlook, system updates, new software installs. <- changed to fix style. You may want to simplify.

· Used company created ticketing system to document each call and steps taken to resolve the issue <- not sure if relevant
    · Provided self-help articles to how-to questions along with guidance. <- fix tense and style
    · Escalated to tier2 if unable to resolve issue or rerouted call to proper support channel if was not dealing with iMac or Macbook models <- too wordy
    · Resolved desktop issues related to mail, permissions, performance issues, and network issues. <- changed to fit style
    Dakota State University (Online - Undergraduate) <- modify
    · Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    I would remove the term "Online - Undergraduate" since it's not necessarily relevant.

Overall - it's not bad. Good luck on your job search. Some suggestions below.
  • Options
    valenlane85valenlane85 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Paul78 Thank you for your time in looking at my resume and giving feedback. Ive updated my resume to reflect changes made.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Looking at this from a hiring managers point of view, I would recommend you mention the SLA standards where you have worked (eg SLA targets reached for 11 of 12 months.

If you don't have ITIL Foundation certification yet, get the book / watch the CBT videos and sit the exam - it is going to be a breeze with your experience and is a big thing for shortlisting candidates.

In general listing your responsibilities is fine, but a hiring manager will be interested in your achievements - anyone can be given a list of things that is their job to do, but what will impress a manager is how well you did and what value you added.

For example did you take handover of any new systems and document them, becoming the subject matter expert in the team? Did you mentor any new recruits or train people in technolgies you are proficient in? Did you manage projects - if so were they on time/budget?

Hopefully you get where I'm going with this - make it about how good you are, not just what you touched day to day.