Going for Certs

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
When going for certs do you go for what the employer is not necessarily asking for but what the company is doing, or do you just go for what your passionate about? I ask this because I am in the middle of my CCNP (plan on finishing in the next 2 months), going to take ROUTE on Monday and am close to getting hired by a company that relies heavily on wireless. Wireless is something I want to learn and really end up getting/pursuing my CCIE in but it seems like there is such a lack of resources out there for it. I also want to go for Collaboration. I think part of my problem is that I'm relatively young, 26, and have so many areas that I desire to become an expert in. I guess I'm just looking for advice so I can hone in my game plan and really become an expert.

Comments

• sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pearljam wrote: »
    When going for certs do you go for what the employer is not necessarily asking for but what the company is doing, or do you just go for what your passionate about? I ask this because I am in the middle of my CCNP (plan on finishing in the next 2 months), going to take ROUTE on Monday and am close to getting hired by a company that relies heavily on wireless. Wireless is something I want to learn and really end up getting/pursuing my CCIE in but it seems like there is such a lack of resources out there for it. I also want to go for Collaboration. I think part of my problem is that I'm relatively young, 26, and have so many areas that I desire to become an expert in. I guess I'm just looking for advice so I can hone in my game plan and really become an expert.

I look for my end goal, see what is required, and go from there.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're on the path towards your CCNP, stay on it for now. Once you've been hired by that company, see if they're willing to pay for you to take classes towards the CCIE Wireless. If not, then see what other options you have, (maybe go for CCIE R&S instead, depending on how useful it'll be to you.) Either way, focus on the certs immediately in front of you, figure out where you're going to land career-wise, and take it from there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pearljam wrote: »
    . . . and am close to getting hired by a company that relies heavily on wireless . . .

I'd be careful here. Close to getting hired is like getting close to winning a contest. Problem being we don't have any inside information on how many other contestants there are and if they're going to be chosen over us. I wouldn't put much faith in hiring employee feedback either because they might be good at giving poker-like answers.

Many times in the past I made an assumption that I did well at an interview and that I had the job. After foolishly pausing my job search and hearing no response over the next two weeks I'd realize that the interviewer was merely being polite and I should not have stopped the job search. Maybe you have some inside info for this wireless gig and that's cool but I'd be wary about changing my study direction based on the assumption that I will be hired before actually beginning the job.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP