GCIH passed

DarkmanX-DarkmanX- Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed the GCIH exam with an 88% score. Thought I'd post my experience.

First off, the class was great and very informative that covers a large collection of material. I finished the class about a month ago. I was given 2 practice tests and bought another one. I failed every one of them with an average score of 68. I did not use any of my material for any of the exams. I also did not create an index for the actual test as I just studied the questions from the tests and reread the course books (as well as did the labs a couple of times). I would not recommend at all approaching any GIAC tests in this manner but due to work load both at work, masters courses, and home I never made time to create one.

During the exam I was able to answer about half of the questions off the top of my head, and found the others somewhere throughout the course material. Again, I would advise against NOT using an index. It took me approximately 3.5 hours to finish and I believe I skipped approximately 10 questions till the end.

I am now focusing on the NetWars portion as I am enrolled in the SANS course equivalent from SANS Institute.

I will attempting GCIA later this year with MUCH better study preparation.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow no index! Big congratulations!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on doing it the hard way!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, I only scored a 78% on my GCIH with my index and I only had a few minutes remaining at the end.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Can you provide any advice on the GCIH? I am studying for mine right now!
  • keane234keane234 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can you provide any advice on the GCIH?

I think he would recommend building an index :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats dude!

Anyone has any index templates that we can use? I might be going to one of these courses hopefully soon too.
  • DarkmanX-DarkmanX- Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Can you provide any advice on the GCIH? I am studying for mine right now!

Do an index....period. Also, be able to use what you learn within its context....aka know how to read various types of "real-world" outputs.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice work without the index. I take my test on Friday...and I WILL use my index! :)