Options

Interesting article: Beware of These 8 Lies From the Interviewer

mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
I found this to be a little interesting:

During the interview, the words the interviewer uses can be very telling. Often, interviewers tell job candidates things that aren't entirely true. It's important that you recognize these statements for what they are, so you don't get a false sense of hope. Take these seven phrases with the proverbial grain of salt.

1. You Have Our Ideal Qualifications

If you've made it to the interview stage, it's likely because you fit many or all of the qualifications the employer is seeking. The same goes for every other candidate interviewing for the position, so don't pat yourself on the back yet just because the interviewer confirms your qualifications.

2. We Provide Salary Based on Work Experience

Interviewers love to say this to avoid talking about salary during the interview, but the statement isn't entirely true. While your past work experience undoubtedly makes a difference, most employers already know what they plan to offer for an open position. At the very least, they have a range. It's your responsibility to research thoroughly prior to the interview so that you have a good idea of where to start with negotiations.

3. We Offer a Great Benefits Package

"Great" is a highly subjective word; one person's definition of a great benefits package may differ significantly from another's, so get some details if you can. Ask about the benefits that are of most importance to you, such as a retirement plan, medical coverage or corporate discounts.

4. This Would Be Your Workspace

Interviewers often include a tour of the company building as a standard part of the interview process. Don't get carried away when the interviewer says something like, "This will be your desk," because you can bet that each and every candidate after you is hearing those same words.

5. You May Be Right for Another Position

The interviewer may be looking for a gentle way to let you down if you're not the right fit for the position you're interviewing for. If there actually is another position or project you might be considered for, it probably won't live up to the same expectations you had for the first job.

6. You're Great But We Still Need to Interview More People

If they were truly impressed with you, there'd be no need to interview more candidates after you. The hiring process takes time, energy and money, and most employers want it over with as quickly as possible.

7. We Will Get Back to You

This is often a standard phrase said at the end of many an interview. It doesn't always necessarily mean the interviewer is going to get back to you; rather, it is a polite way to end the interview while giving you some sliver of hope for a callback.

8. We Should Have a Decision Next Week

Don't assume you will receive a callback after the interview. It is your job to follow up with the hiring manager to get a timeline on next steps.

Many interviewers use vague wording and half-truths to speed the hiring process along. It's important to separate the fluff from the truth; after the interview, be sure to follow up with the hiring manager with a thank-you note and a call to action. If you don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time, move on.

Comments

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    #7 is truly irritating. I've even had someone say I had the job and would be starting "next week" and they would be "calling" me "next Wednesday" never to hear from them again. I find these moves completely unprofessional and not only this... but cruel.

As for the "be sure to follow up with the hiring manager with a thank-you note and a call to action", great idea except... how do you even find out who the hiring manager is?
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    1. You Have Our Ideal Qualifications

How is this a lie? Seems the article is off to a pretty poor start.

2. We Provide Salary Based on Work Experience

...most employers already know what they plan to offer for an open position. At the very least, they have a range.

Again no lie. The interviewer has a duty to provide the best value for money in the hiring process as any other component of the business. A recruiter won't offer the top end of a range on a whim - you have to earn it through negotiation.

3. We Offer a Great Benefits Package

Ask about the benefits that are of most importance to you...

If the recruiter thinks they are great then how is it a lie. Also asking too much about the benefits makes you look greedy (or needy) so better to ask if you can see details of the benefits package or get them to run through them at a second or third interview.

4. This Would Be Your Workspace

Don't get carried away when the interviewer says something like, "This will be your desk," because you can bet that each and every candidate after you is hearing those same words.

Frankly you are only going to get a tour if you are a serious contender for the role so it seems reasonable to me. To call it a lie is just absurd.

5. You May Be Right for Another Position

The interviewer may be looking for a gentle way to let you down if you're not the right fit for the position you're interviewing for.

Would you prefer the recruiter to tell you that you are unsuitable but if a position for a raving psychopath with poor personal hygine and a shopping trolley for a suitcase then they will think of you? You are being let down with a polite lie and if you don't get that then it is probably your people skills that have just lost you the interview. (note this is not aimed at you personally).

If they were truly impressed with you, there'd be no need to interview more candidates after you. The hiring process takes time, energy and money, and most employers want it over with as quickly as possible.

Rubbish. The recruiters job is to get the right candidate for the role rather than the first one who ticks all the boxes.
    I've had several experiences that it was only the 20th-ish candidate who was just right for a key position and I was so glad to have waited that I would do it all over again.
    Plus the interviewer has made an implicit contract with the candidates to interview them and give them a fair comparison with the others so why would I break that the minute I find someone who is good enough. No, you treat them with respect and interview the whole batch before making your mind up.
    To call it a lie is just stupid.

7. We Will Get Back to You

This is often a standard phrase said at the end of many an interview.

It means someone will get back to you - typically a recruitment agent in this day and age but more companies are letting things slip and don't even give a negative confirmation nevermind feedback. Personally I try to offer some positive feedback that can help the candidate with their appications in future, but this can be a minefield.
    It is a legitimate gripe that I have experienced myself, including in my current role.

8. We Should Have a Decision Next Week

This means even if the hiring manager choses a candidate, they have to get their boss (or HR) to sign off on the hire and this can get delayed for all sorts of reasons - hence the use of the word "should".
    It isn't a lie as it is clearly defined as a possibility.

This article is a big steaming pile of manure - sensational writing about how bad hiring managers are. It makes me think the person who wrote it was a substandard candidate for a bunch of jobs and wrote this to vent their spleen.

If this article is an example of the individuals work then it is no wonder they had such issues with the interview process - shopping trolleys full of homeless kittens would be the least of the issues they turned up with I suspect.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Agree with the above.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mjnk77 wrote: »

I don't agree with this statement, often the company has interviews lined up for the day or next few days. It would be extremely unprofessional to call those potential candidates and tell them don't bother coming it, the position is filled. Not to mention if you didn't work out (ie you lied on your resume, your drug test or back ground doesn't clear, whatever), it would be very expensive to re-advertise the position and go through the entire search and interview process again. It makes more sense to finish interviewing the people the have lined up already, it also gives them alternatives say if you want more money then they are willing to pay.

The article isn’t completely worthless, does give some pointers that you shouldn’t place too much faith in what a potential employer says during an interview. You shouldn’t be waiting by the phone for a call back from an employer you thought the interview went great. If your unemployed, I’d continue to look, better to have more pokers in the fire, until one of them pays off.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Appears to be written with no understanding of the employer POV, hiring procedures, or professional courtesies.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com