Options

Should i go to KU (Kansas University) or take online classes

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here the deal. Right now, I live about 30 minutes away from KU IT campus. In about a year, I will be moving back to my hometown, which takes me about 1 hr and 30 minutes. Here my question, should I take online class from another college or should I go to KU and take in-classroom classes? I don't mind the drive but it get little bit tiresome. I really wanted get a degree at KU but I don't really feel like driving hour and a half 2 or 3 times a week. Thanks for your input.

PS I really like this website. Your guys answer so many of my questions and help me out alot. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would vote for the online school instead. I did a 1-hr commute for one of my programs and while the drive itself was always a good way to adjust between home and school and vice versa, the missing 2 hours a day I could have been studying instead of driving was not. You'll be missing 3 hours everyday you could use for studying instead of driving. I would think about that.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How old are you? Did you just finish high school or do you wish to go back to school to get a degree?

If you just finished highschool I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar school for the experience of actually going to a class. You wont get that anywhere when you get older. If you are already old and have a job then dp
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    If you just finished highschool I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar school for the experience of actually going to a class. You wont get that anywhere when you get older.

Am I missing something here? Why couldn't someone get the experience of actually going to a class when they're older?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Am I missing something here? Why couldn't someone get the experience of actually going to a class when they're older?

Usually people will have bigger commitments with having a job and a family when they are older. Making going to a brick and mortar not an option. I don't think it would be a big deal for him to commute this if he just got out of High School.
  • Options
    Usually people will have bigger commitments with having a job and a family when they are older. Making going to a brick and mortar not an option. I don't think it would be a big deal for him to commute this if he just got out of High School.

Hmmm, that's an interesting point of view. When I went to school at age 37 (almost 38 ) there were so many older students. With many people having to change careers midlife these days, I think the demographics are really changing.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, just many many times easier at the younger age is all.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also to add to thw above, its far easier to make friends that you can hang out with, go on dates and parties and enjoy the college life whem you are younger out of highschool. That's an experience you wont get when you go to school at an older age in brick amd mortar campuses, you can't dorm either. When you are older you already have your priorities and lifestyle set.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lawrence is a great town. Have a blast!
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    How old are you? Did you just finish high school or do you wish to go back to school to get a degree?

If you just finished highschool I'd recommend going to a brick and mortar school for the experience of actually going to a class. You wont get that anywhere when you get older. If you are already old and have a job then dp
    I am 32 years old and went to DeVry. I took both online classes and in classroom. I enjoy being in a classroom. I feel like i learn more and if I have a question,I can ask the instructor right there, face to face.
    I meant to say that I looking into a master's degree at KU. I have to be in the job field for at least 3 years in order to get into KU master's degree without taking the CLEPS test.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally hated the in-class experience back in 2000 when I started, and 2006 when I went back. From my perspective, which may not be indicative of colleges in general, but there's little preference for students to creatively think...and I mean REALLY think. All I ever got was someone regurgitating facts from a book that I could have learned myself, or worse, a PhD with no real-world experience trying to tell me how the world works.

Your online program may or may not be identical to the B&M version, but unless there is some considerable value to be gained from sitting in class (other than the experience of sitting in class) and you have the self-discipline to do the work on your own, I'd lean towards online.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If youre doing the masters route, I would take some of my classes in person. There seems to be more serious networking and building connections.

Does KU offer some online classes for its masters?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    If youre doing the masters route, I would take some of my classes in person. There seems to be more serious networking and building connections.

Yeah It does. I not sure if it offer all courses online.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Efficiency, I would go with online. Physical schools just waste soooooooo much time, unless you are a teenager with more time than things to do.
  • Options
    Efficiency, I would go with online. Physical schools just waste soooooooo much time, unless you are a teenager with more time than things to do.
    Yeah I leaning towards online. I going to get a job sometime next year. With all the traveling I going to do, I don't really have time to go in class. But I really want to go to KU. It kindred been my dream school ever since like 10 years ago. I wanted walk down the hill at the graduation ceremony.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lawrence is a great town. Have a blast!

Heck yeah It is!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Heck yeah It is!
    Yeah, right now i living in it. But sometime next year, i been moving back to atchison. It alot cheaper in atchison to buy a house but I do love lawrence.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

This is what I would try to do if I wanted to go back (if feasible) - have the option to do online classes at a traditional B&M university, and go in-person in situations where I think the "classroom experience" or networking is important.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ryan9764 wrote: »
    Yeah, right now i living in it. But sometime next year, i been moving back to atchison. It alot cheaper in atchison to buy a house but I do love lawrence.

Meh, I don't care for Atchison. Lawrence has a great culture and will always thrive because of KU, but it's too expensive.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE