Options

Quieter Router?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need a quieter router. I have 3 2811 routers and they are very loud, especially when all 3 are on at the same time. Is there a quieter option that is just as relevant to the current CCNA exam that run IOS 15?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strip down the routers, remove the cooling fans (nothing CPU or chip related)

install a state of the art air con system in your room
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there is the 1841 /w the right memory will run version 15 of the ios. And, is much quieter than the 2811. But, it doesn't have any expandability. But, no expandability is need for studying for the ccna.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ear plugs. Problem solved. Or just go virtual.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I'm not sure if anyone on here has done this, but I'm sure I read that cooling fans can be made to run slower, and thereby quieter, by installing a resister. You need to be handy with a soldering iron and confident about what you're doing.

The theory is sound enough: solder a resister inline with the positive side of the power feed to the fan/fans.

I've got a 2950 that won't boot, but the power is good and the fan runs fine. I could try this and report back, if anyone's interested in the result.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    pujan96 wrote: »
    strip down the routers, remove the cooling fans (nothing CPU or chip related)

install a state of the art air con system in your room

+1 for making me laugh out loud at 3am!

I personally like them hum of the routers, it drowns out distracting sounds like birds chirping while its a beautiful day outside, or my other half trying to show me facebook baby pictures until I lose my mind.

Once I go virtual, I am going to be a very sad Panda, I might have to found like an hours long router sound byte on youtube to play while I used GNS3 (if I find the heart to toss the old lab out).
  • Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my lab I also have a 2811 which was very loud. I disconnected 2 of 3 fans to keep it quieter. However this way you will receive like every 10s log messages (use vty lines without #terminal monitor command ) about not correctly fan speeds, but you can ignore that if your router is only for lab purposes and not run 24/7. Another way as mentioned is put inline resistor witch i also used in few other devices from my lab. One fan i left running to maintain a bit air flow. Just have eyes on room temperature and sometimes check surface temp of a router.
    Also, in my asa5520 I replaced all fans (40x40x20mm) with new ones (about $5each) with noise bellow 20db ( original was around 36db and way more at booting a 2811 ) and the result is very satisfied. This FW i run 24/7 as my home network perimeter :D for a month now and no issues for now.
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1700 and 1800 series routers are pretty quiet. Havent tried running IOS 15 on them though. I use 2800 series at home because of the extra features. Why don't you move the routers further away from you? Doubling the distance drops 6 dB. Or you can place something between them and you.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1700's aren't going to be able to run version 15 of the ios.

But, does remind me abuot 800 series routers, they don't have fans. The 871 is pretty cheap. They come with 20mb of flash installed on the system board. And came with a 4mb flash card by default. But, you need 30mb of flash to run version 15 of the ios. So, unless you have a cheap way to get some 16mb flash sticks, don't bother. be sure to get the power brick.

Then there is the 881. some versions have 1 fan, some have no fan. comes with 128mb of flash and 256 of ram. newer models are 256/512. But even the old ones will support like 15.5 if you have a version. Lots came with version 15 of the ios. and with advanced security feature set. some with adv ip services feature set. Still pretty cheap. be sure to get the power brick.

The 800s do come intergrated with a 4 port switch (kind of a two for one there). But, they don't have any support for serial. so no pap or chap or frame relay with these. And there is a wireless version that support 802.11b/g/n. These to come in many different configuration, so be s ure to get what your looking for. With the right one, you can use it for ccna r&s, security, wireless and voice.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got a 2821 and even with the 80mm fans it's loud. I replaced the stock fans with Fractal Design R3 silent fans and it's made a huge difference! My Laptop makes more noise than the 2821. One thing I discovered was that the +12v and Ground are swapped on Cisco fans.

robo78 wrote: »
    In my lab I also have a 2811 which was very loud. I disconnected 2 of 3 fans to keep it quieter. However this way you will receive like every 10s log messages

You can ignore these syslog messages with the following configuration:

logging discriminator NOFANWRN mnemonics drops FAN_LOW_RPM
    logging buffered discriminator NOFANWRN 4096
    logging console discriminator NOFANWRN
    logging monitor discriminator NOFANWRN

• Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @dontstop
    I did not know about that code
    appreciate and thanks for sharing
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options