Options

Laptop Loaner Agreement Issue

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
No one is following the procedures here at work. Looking at the entries. There's a 9 month gap between the last loaner and the previous loaner given out dates. It is insane. If people do what they're suppose to do, the world would be a better place. The process is to scan the agreement form into the database once the laptop is picked up and signed by user. How hard is that to do?

Do you guys know any programs available online that I can utilize to do this? I think it will be better if user goes to that site and fill out the info then come to I.T pick up the laptop. That way, both IT Dept and User can check and update the status anytime.
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make a calendar in exchange for each laptop and require them to book it through there. We did that at a previous company I worked at.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm confused what your trying to accomplish here, are they suppose to return the loaner within a limited time period?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm also confused. Who is not doing their job, users or support personnel? Sounds like a people problem, not a technology one.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's a people problem as well. Your first sentence is ...No one is following the procedures here at work.

I found this online, it might be a good program.

LITS Laptops for Lending
    Laptop Lending

Request form:
    https://brynmawr.wufoo.com/forms/request-for-facultystaff-loaner/

A place to make forms:
    https://www.wufoo.com/

Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Meraki MDM! Given them all tablets and lock those things down til they can't hardly google your companies name in Internet Explorer!

Seriously though, I'd send out out something very official and nasty sounding to the entire company about unreturned company assets, than go start tapping people on the shoulder who having issues.

Unless you are talking about how shitty your company has managed to do at tracking your inventory, and you get to clean up the mess, than that sucks and I still advise MDM or a company wide email and some individual attention if assets are just missing.

It might not get a single asset returned, but if you come off as a prick about borrowed assets (as you should), people will stop taking them.

And might also think your a prick... so weigh that into consideration as well :)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do the laptops follow a naming convention different than desktops or servers? If they do, then go to AD and list all the laptops, block network access and see how fast they get returned. Or you can run a script for those laptops to find the last person that logged on, then call them and tell them they are missing paperwork. If some of those users are no longer active then take it to your boss and tell them you cant find the asset.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They are probably using them at home for personal use.

Like was mentioned above, this is a people and a management problem. You can implement all of the systems and processes you want, if the people do not follow the processes and the management holds no one accountable, then you are chasing wind.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    coldbug wrote: »
    That way, both IT Dept and User can check and update the status anytime.

This last line made me think he was looking for a good way to track the laptops for both the IT dept and Users. Thats why I figured he could just set them up like conference rooms and make them calendars.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We created shared resources for things like this and made them book it through the calendar. Treat it just like a conference room- only one person can use it at a time and must schedule its use. Perfect example of when IT needs to step on some toes to maintain order.
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Yes..i'm chasing the wind. It's a people problem. I don't feel like following the process since no one is doing it. Why would I?
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    coldbug wrote: »
    Yes..i'm chasing the wind. It's a people problem. I don't feel like following the process since no one is doing it. Why would I?

Because you are the one that will be tasked to manage it.

If your company allows the use of Google, you can create a Google form with all the necessary information and have the people complete it online anf submit it to you. You can also export the list and get real time notifications when someone submits a form. Really easy.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    So a process problem, where it's too easy for people to not follow the process or rather maybe it's more attractive for people to not follow the process. You can use technology to fix this - eg, the laptop can't be used until the booking in process is completed, 24 and 1 hours' notice of the return date, and the laptop ceases to function at 25 hours past the due back date. That's all stick, though. So, part of the booking could be to make the laptop come to them, fully functional, maybe delivered by a tech who can help with any last minute set up issues. Similarly, return could involve someone coming to them to wrench it from their hands, or an easy process to extend the booking if needed, like as part of the notification of return "If you still need it, click here".
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Install HIPS, the moment they don't return the laptop, access can no longer be had on the laptop.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....