Options

Critique Resume: Leaving first IT job after 6 months

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
If not sooner...had a 'professional' check out my resume and they completely revamped it.

Would like people who work in the IT world, to look at my resume.

What's in red, he stated I should put my own information.

I'll probably end up removing it, (besides the coursework) since I don't have any idea what I could substitute for Adobe or Webtools...

Resume Below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3FlcaL7fzkyU1lseDEybTVmdHM

Comments

• Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dislike the style/formatting, but that's just me and my eyes.

What are you wanting to do? I'd tailor my resume for the job I was applying for. All the web **** is great, but if I want you as a desktop tech or help desk I don't really give a **** about any of that. If you are wanting some junior web or dev type job, then that stuff is important. Same thing with the graphics stuff. Unless you are applying for some graphic design position or the company you are applying to uses that stuff heavily in their business, no one is going to care.

You mention server experience in your it listing, but only list desktop operating systems at the top. Seems conflicting. I'd also eliminating separating my work history and just listing in all together in order. Your experience in your prior career shows you are experienced in managing volatile personalities and can function in a secure environment.

You have a broad paintbrush swipe of experience in things. As general information this is great, I'd just focusing the details for the specific gig you are applying for.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i don't really like the layout either.

But, in terms of actual content...
    i don't like your summary/statement at the top.

It doesn't tell me "what you are";
    or said another way: It doesn't tell me what position that you are seeking.

You need to "hook" the potential employer ASAP.
    in my opinion, the 1st part of the 1st page of your resume MUST communicate what you are seeking.

just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ..I think you should stay another 6 months...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Before specializing, I had roughly 3 different 'shapes' to my resume, depending on the job ad: infosec, networking, and sysadmin. I'd find a job ad, pick the best suited shape, then tailor it to the ad.

This resume is sort of shaped like a web developer/designer, only the with the wrong kind of work experience. And there's some important stuff missing.

You'd also need your portfolio of designs and logos to show off your talent. Then for developer you'd need to show off all the awesome web applications that you worked on. You are going for web design/development right? What is it that you are going for? That's not clear.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    You'd also need your portfolio of designs and logos to show off your talent. Then for developer you'd need to show off all the awesome web applications that you worked on. You are going for web design/development right? What is it that you are going for? That's not clear.

No, that is just how the 'professional' sent it back to me. I guess to add my own skills. My skills fall underneath my duties for my current and past jobs so I'll probably just remove it.
    ..I think you should stay another 6 months...

I know, but it's probably best for for to jump ship, I went into detail here...

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/125957-starting-regret-career-transition.html
  • Options
    Ah, understood, but some interviewers will not look at that kindly.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I glanced but I don't see why education would come before experience....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with Scared of tests!!

This is your first IT job, correct?

Stay at least a year, and then you can move on. 6 months seems rather short time for your first IT job.

Most IT jobs that see these days require a cert level of experience.

If you stay a year, then at least you will meet that requirement.

Your boss says:
    During down time , you need to talk to the students and see if any issues have arrived?

I would say talk to the teachers too and see how things are going,and if they have any technology issues.

I would ask you to at least try this. Use this time to build your people skills.

The next 6 months you can build out a plan to find a new job.

The plan could include working on some certs, working on people skills, ect.

Take some IT to really think of what you want to do in IT.

I remember you said you don't want to do Help Desk or call center jobs.

What do you want to do in IT? It's very hard to avoid help desk altogether, not unless you go into programming or web design.

Be prepared for this question in the interview.

Why did you or why are you leaving your current position at only 6 months of working there?

If you're feel depressed, or the job is just unbearable , then ignore everything I said and look for a new IT job.

If you crave an environment that doesn't have a lot of down time, then start looking at an MSP.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Your boss says:
    During down time , you need to talk to the students and see if any issues have arrived?

I would say talk to the teachers too and see how things are going,and if they have any technology issues.

That's right, during my downtime, I'm supposed to walk the canvas over and over, looking for problems. Some days, I've spent just 6 hours walking. I feel like I'm missing out on experience.
    I would ask you to at least try this. Use this time to build your people skills..

I have 5+ years as a probation/correction officer. I feel like my people skill is better than most.
    What do you want to do in IT? It's very hard to avoid help desk altogether, not unless you go into programming or web design.

Well, I kind of skipped it already. I've done the call center thing before in the past,(Warranty Department - Cingular) and it's draining. That's all.

Yes, they may not look at it kindly, if so they have the opportunity to not offer me an interview or a job.
    I glanced but I don't see why education would come before experience....

Is this an IT requirement/norm? Up until this career change, my education always came before my experience.
  • Options
    but experience (in my journey in this field), always impressed rather than the education...