Options

Is Person Network Simulator a good way to lab for ICND 1 & ICND 2?

chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
I'm thinking to get one for each. What's your recommendation?

Comments

• Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Has no one actually use them?
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I can only offer limited guidance:

1. What do you know about the
    Person Network Simulator?
    2. Do you need to pay for it?
    3. Have to compared it to CPT and/or GNS3?
    4. If you need to pay, what's the advantage?

These are the questions that I'd need answered, not least because CPT and GNS3 (GNS3: I think that's what it's called) are both free to use and quite a few TE members use/recommend them and as such, support (on here) should be on hand.

I use CPT. I've tried GNS3, but found it to be a bit of a pain, but I've read,on here, that it's the better of the two.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    I'm new to Cisco myself and I haven't used the Pearson simulator for cisco exams but I did buy it for Network+.

I didn't use it that much.

I recommend Packet Tracer, it's free and you can download other people's lab files to play with.

But the best way to lab is to buy some cisco hardware and build your own home lab.
  • Options
    InsomniaaInsomniaa Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have both the Pearson ICND1 100-105 simulator as well as the ICND2 200-125 and literally just finished the ICND1 simulator today as well as Wendell Odom's ICND1 guide and I definitely recommend the ICND1 simulator if you have Odom's book since they work hand in hand. It's great to read a chapter, followed by working a chapter in the simulator to help drill the entire chapter into your head a bit more efficiently.

The Pearson simulator gets a bit repetitive and I have nothing else to compare it to, but I do think it works very well with Odom's books if you're reading his stuff.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the 100-101 simulator and I liked it better than packet tracer tbh. It was a better learning tool for me than the ITPro.tv labs, it asked you questions and made you think about why you were doing a certain command ect.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used it and recommend it. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are overkill for CCNA. I liked the repetition for the mind-muscle memory thing to learn commands.

Back when I was considering buying it I remember looking around TE and not seeing much activity at all regarding the simulator. I bought it anyways and glad I did.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Pearson simulator got me through my CCNA. It's a good program, I find the screen layout a little easier to read than Boson NetSim, and the practice will mean more than just reading books. All that being said, it only really helps with CCENT and CCNA subjects. You will need to either invest in real gear, or switch to one of the other sims if you want to continue to challenge yourself after you pass those.
  • Options
    EdwinMobileEdwinMobile Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using the Pearson 100-101 simulator as I got it from work. I like it. We'll see if I pass first time out